no power

trina1

Recruit
I have a mercury black max 150 it is a 1994 model. It has not been running right this year, my high heat and low oil alarm has been going off. I changed my water pump disconnected my oil pump and mixed my oil and gas. My alarm has quit going off but i have no power, it starts right up but does not sound right it sounds more like a 4 stroke than a 2 stroke. Took it to the lake and it does not have any power, I can give half of the throttle and it just barely goes and if i give it more it dies.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: no power

Do a compression/spark test.Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram.J

j_martin

Admiral
Re: no power

I have a mercury black max 150 it is a 1994 model. It has not been running right this year, my high heat and low oil alarm has been going off. I changed my water pump disconnected my oil pump and mixed my oil and gas. My alarm has quit going off but i have no power, it starts right up but does not sound right it sounds more like a 4 stroke than a 2 stroke. Took it to the lake and it does not have any power, I can give half of the throttle and it just barely goes and if i give it more it dies.

Perhaps you did major damage to it before you got oil into the gas. Do a compression test to find out. The alarm is to warn you that something is wrong. Continued operation, even for a minute, can cause major damage.

hope it helps.
John