Easiest way to hook up this steering?

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice
This got me stumped. I have searched for how this is supposed to look.

How do I connect the steering bar to the motor. Is it jsut a clevis pin thing? Also is a standoff clamp all I need to hold the steer tube in place?

2010JULYnewboatathome027.jpg

2010JULYnewboatathome028.jpg

this is just a dry fit, the power trim has to be installed still. That will put the motor 6 inches back yet.

How do I get this to work cheaply.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Easiest way to hook up this steering?

You are missing a peice, there is an idler arm thet attaches to the engine and the steering cable attaches to that.

The steering cable should go through the pivot tube, the tube with threaded ends, then the idler arm attaches to that.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would be more concerned with the cracks/holes in the corners of the transom with the green foilage growing :eek:

That motor did not come with that boat, did it? Good luck matching up....

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

The motor is a 97 off a pontoon party boat. The transom and a few other items are going to get a teardown and fix.

The steering is the only thing I cannot figure out. So your telling me you have to use the same motor that came with the boat...i dont think so.

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

There is no way the steering rod will go through that tube.

And the motor will be back another 5-6 inches when the trim unit is installed.

That rod will have to go out the transom and past the back of the boat to get into that tube.

Anyone have pics of their setup for a boat with a well and a outboard without a aligning steering tube?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There is no way the steering rod will go through that tube.

And the motor will be back another 5-6 inches when the trim unit is installed.

That rod will have to go out the transom and past the back of the boat to get into that tube.

Anyone have pics of their setup for a boat with a well and a outboard without a aligning steering tube?

Buy a longer steering cable, drill a hole in the transom, feed the cable through and into the motors "thru-tube". Then put a motor well boot on the cable to seal the hole you cut, and get the right link to connect the cable to the motor. Anything else you rig up is not going to work well with the tilt/trim.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, was not trying to be a smarta**.

You'll have to make some compromises to make that work. A steering bar with balljoints on the ends might work, if you can get the length right. But, consider that if you don't use the tilt tube as it was intended, the steering could bind as the engine tilts. Hit something underwater and it kicks up, you could break stuff. Just my thoughts based on the pictures.......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

These aren't the best pics but they're what I have.

Steering cable/rod into tilt tube:
DSCF1925.jpg

Steering link bar (that's the part you need) connected to the steering rod and then to the motor
DSCF1929.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Aha! Much better picture than my previous one.....

steering-arm.jpg

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

OK found the missing link. Right in the box of spare parts under the bow cover.

1) Will have to now figure out how to remove the steering cable and bring to a local shop to properly lengthen. Will probably bring the boat as well so they can measure it up properly.

Sure hope this dont cost a fortune....trying not to throw to much money in the water hole.

2) NEXT challenge after steering will be hooking up the controls that came with the motor.....look plug-n-play but it never works that way for me.

3) THEN after that, figure out the wiring on the power lift as they were just cut off at the switchbox thingy....I can live without power lift but may as well see if it will work since its there right.

4) THEN properly mount the motor permanantly.

Then hopefully see water this year.

Will get a new water pump kit and the carb kits as well.

ONCE she is mechanically sound and working properly, then cosmetic will be tended to. Already thinking of a nice vinyl wrap job for exterior. (its my job)

The boat sat under trees uncovered for 8 years....there is a whole garden in there growing in every floor seam. The floor is very sturdy and appears to have been redone very well.

Next year I will lift the floor and take a looksee..... at the same time as I take the transom apart for a good looksee. The wiring will be a next year project as well....dried cracked wiring throughout the boat....

Dont think I have ever searched and read so many posts as I have here on Iboats.

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

Took the treaded sleve thingy off the steering cable. The cable is just plain old too short. By about 1.5 ft plus any slack needed. So 2ft should do it....not so bad $40.

Now just to gat the dang steering wheel off. Of tha many wheels I have removed, this one is the stuckest. usually knees under wheel and a heavy mallet does the tough jobs. Dont feel like buying a wheel puller. May just have to cut this wheel off, or a torch perhaps.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Loosen the nut and give it a good whack. 2' will do ya.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

OK found the missing link. Right in the box of spare parts under the bow cover.

1) Will have to now figure out how to remove the steering cable and bring to a local shop to properly lengthen. Will probably bring the boat as well so they can measure it up properly.....

The good news is the cables can not be lengthened. A new one in the length you need can be ordered. Add what ever length you need to the existing cable length and order a new one.

Its good you found the parts. It simplifies everything when it is assembled as designed. Don't forget to grease up the cable good before inserting in the motor. Its common for them to become corroded in place.

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

Finially got the steering wheel off...after an hour of pulling and hammering. One good whack with a large slegehammer and a hockeypuck cushion the wheel came off all right. Now I know this is the original dash as it still has the nice woodgrain vinyl under the wheel housing.

Original cable (black casing part) is 11" so accurate measuring tells me I need 13" which would also give me ample routing slack. Dealer thinks he has a whole assembly that would work...and for only $50.

Now I need a whole new dash as the teleflex mounting brackets shot through the rotted dash plywood. Hmm cedar, oak, maple, walnut, painted MDO, pvc sign board, aluminum faced mdo....my signshop has a large selection of materials to choose from.

Already planning on fairing the hull to give her a vinyl wrap to look like a fishing spoon....either classic 5 diamonds or redwhite.....daughter already calls the boat JIGGY.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

I normally dont tell a guy anything about his boating or mechanical skills but if you put that thing in the water in the shape it is in, your going to end up killing yourself and maybe worse killing someone else. Be safe by a skateboard.

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

huh? Broke a gear puller and bent a prybar trying to get the wheel off, so out came the hammer and the hockey puck fit into the wheel center to perfectly protected the bolt and nut. Dont worry, I am getting the mechanical items working properly before the boat ever sees the water.

Over winter and next spring I will take care of the original openings in the transom.

Cant see how I will hurt anyone, it floats, its sturdy and once the mechanical stuff is repaired it should be a safe boat. What am I missing.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

He may be reffering to your transom, I missed the weeds growing the first time I looked.

The transom should be able to hold your weight(200lbs anyhow) standing on the cavitation plate with out moving more than 1/8'', if it moves much more than that there is a good chance it could fail under load, under throttle it will take at least that or more load from the engine.

If the transom checks out you are fine, test start in the drive on mufs and be super certain you got the steering right and og have fun.

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

The transom dosent move at all other than trailer bounce. Takes a good hard crank with a seperating woodworking barclamp to even begin to flex the transom.

I will try to soak some linseed oil into that wood and then seal up those corners the best I can till next spring (boat season only 2 more months).

I know that its really to late if there is damage as its been exposed for 32 years.

I am sure hoping I dont have to learn how to replace a transom.

I looked at 2 other Springbok boats of similar year and all appear to have the same opening in the rear corners of the transom with the wood exposed.

There were other weeds growing in the floor seams, pulled up floor to check and nothing growing underneath and wood is nicely epoxy coated. Pink styro looks all fine. Just weeds growing in the little bit of dirt in the seams. Boat cover will solve that one. 4" of leaves in boat before I cleaned it out.

Got the steering cable and also the wheel hub kit as mine was all corroded. Fits very well. Now just to get a nut for the other end of the tilt tube.

Thanks for your help guys.....steering problem solved thanks to you guys. Probably more questions to come later.