Reinell 192s repair (pics inside)

6.0 silverado

Recruit
I am attempting my first boat "restoration" and my first order of business is to fix the cracked boot/seal on the back of my boat. It is a 1986 Reinell 192s and I added some pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

PICT4313-1.jpg

PICT4316-1.jpg

Questions:
1. What is this boot/seal called?
2. Where can I find a new one?
3. How difficult is it to replace (I have a repair manual)?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

6.0 silverado

Recruit
Re: Reinell 192s repair (pics inside)

I've been doing some research and I believe it is called a transom seal. Would this seal work for me?

http://www.amarket.com/imc027.htm

I'm pretty sure there are 22 holes it, but there are definitely more than 16.

How difficult is this to replace. I looked through the manual that came with the boat and unfortunately it only cover the omc drive system.

superbenk

Commander

It's a 22-hole transom seal (sometimes called the transom boot). You can find them right here on iBoats. The one on your boat now is installed upside down thus causing the cracking like that. I've used the Sierra brand seals & they seem good enough. If you buy Sierra, you'll want to mount the boot with the double arrow pointing UP and the serial number upside down. I know this is counter-intuitive, but I ruined a brand new boot mounting it the other way until I realized it was wrong with the replacement boot.

I've read that you can replace it without removing the outdrive if you lube up the drive with dish soap so you can slide the old one off & slide the new one back on. I've never done this & it seems like there's a fair amount of stretching that'd have to take place to do that (which I personally wouldn't want to risk). Download the Solec manual here & remove the outdrive & replace the boot:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309093

It's definitely not a hard job, but one you'll want to set some time aside for. You'll also want to have some good 3M 5200 or 4200 marine sealant for putting a bead on the lip of the boot (against the transom) and in each of the screw holes before putting the screws back in.

zbnutcase

Commander

Just becareful not to damage the shift cable when removing drive as replacements are $600 (not kidding) and available only from BRP!