no propel

dayfloater

Cadet
hello all and thanks if you respond well its been a rough day a float but it wasnt too long before help towed us back to marina, before all this boat was doing fine took a short break in a cove when we went to leave put it in forward gear and heard a loud pop, now that we made it home safely from what i can see the main engine driveshaft isnt turning :mad: forward/reverse is this a hard fix? what has to be removed engine or outboard im lost, boat is a 1985 galaxy mercruiser 190 4cly 4bbl inboard/outboard UPDATE i removed the outdrive thingy/unit splines are wiped out on the engine side what is this part called? i assume its like a clutch but im not sure any help with this issue would be great

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: no propel

UPDATE i removed the outdrive thingy/unit splines are wiped out on the engine side what is this part called?

Ayuh,... The Coupler....

dayfloater

Cadet

yeah just what i was thinking, im new to the boating thing, i got boat from a friend 4 months ago we had it out prolly a dozen times finally getting the rythm of things and now i got to pull the engine to continue my enjoyment ahahaa this may take awhile thanks bondo for your time and very usefull/detailed help :p

dayfloater

Cadet

ok just to give all bad update i just got off phone with a repair shop who worked on this boat before the guy tells me he remembers it well and that its a piece of junk that im lucky the engine hasent dropped out the bottom that the whole *** end is rotted out beyound repairs damn this was heart breaking i have bout 3000 usd invested i live in virginia are there any lemon laws for boats i havent talked to the friend i got it from yet not sure how to go about this any help would be nice or any words of wisdom people pls let me knoe

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You bought it used with no warranty I'd be willing to wager. You dropped 3K on this and didn't think to spend a couple bucks more and have someone qualified inspect it? The coupler may not have shown up but the bad transom would've. You bought it as is, no lemon law. Your "friend" screwed you. Sorry.

dayfloater

Cadet

yeah im feelin the pain, @ but thing is this repair shop told me that my friend knew about all these problems before it was sold to me so he knew, its just hard for me to grasp that it is junk, sure i could start parting out ebay/craigslist etc, but what is not fixable, the transom seems very sound to me not flexing like the engine, the tech said it was bad too should i try and fix the front engine block/stringer or have a second tech take a look at things before i go thru the trouble and expense, also the best i can tell is the engine is only flexing up on 1 side

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Yer Friend, ain't much of a Friend Bud.....

It don't sound like you're the Handy type, with a garage full of tools,...
So, Unfixable probably sums it up...
It would need the Complete Driveline removed, the Rotten wood, replaced/ reglassed, then the driveline reinstalled to Fix it...

dayfloater

Cadet

so bondo what your saying is my boat isnt junk ? and btw like i said im new at boats/boating fiberglass,coulper,outdrive, upper/lower unit etc, and i know now that im learning the hard way also im a auto tech for 14 yrs, with the tools i just dont want to go thru trouble for nothing at more expense thats why i asked when is it really deamed as junk,

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm auto tech.... Ok I was an auto mechanic for about 30, I suppose a class lower than tech.:D
To me a boat is deemed junk when you figure out you cannot repair it any longer. How do you feel? Like a car when is it deemed junk? Parts are parts as long as they are available.
The boat is really similar to a car for the most part.
Oh and fiberglass is an easy fix as long as you realize what is involved such as gel coats etc,,,

dayfloater

Cadet

thanks for advise, tech-mechanic yeah i was called a mechanic at my last employer, but now im a tech now i mostly do suspension and wheel alignments but i have pulled a many engines just not one in a boat, as for things are simular but much different, i think im going to have to atleast try too repair, i got to do some research first, and i knoe that when i type this bondo is going to say wtf no way!@#$$%%%^^^ before i was a mechanic i was a carpenter just not a boater lol i just dont want to be riding the S.S. May Sink if you get my drift

HHIBouy

Cadet

Hey Dayfloter

As time goes by we all have to pay our stupid tax, this is just one of your installments. I know I have made several payments, but cheer up look what you have learned from this. Not everyone you think of as a friend, feels the same about you.

Good luck move on an find a boat that fits your needs. Sell the POS for parts.:eek::D