Cranks but won't start

Gsanti61

Cadet
1998 Evinrude 130hp V4. Took my son out boating today. Backed up to the water started fine but stalled while I was in reverse. Turn back on but died again. Tied up on the dock. Engine turns over continuously but won't start. Checked fuel line and was not clogged. Removed spark plugs and they were fouled. Cleaned them, dried them out. Seems like I am not getting spark. On my way to get my multimeter. First time dealing with boat engine. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Cranks but won't start

Check the fuse and check the emergency kill switch

Gsanti61

Cadet

Thank You for the suggestion Bob VT. Checked both the switch and the fuse both are good. Put the muffs on and running water, she cranked right over and fired up without hesitation. Ran good. Now I'm really confused. Thank You for the prompt reply.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Just because it runs now on the muffs does not mean that she will run on the water under load. Test spark on all cylinders and let us know what you find.

Gsanti61

Cadet

Haven't been out to the lake again. Checked spark at all cylinders, good blue spark on all four. Engine running good, did notice that the water coming out the pee hole is kind of weak. Should it be shooting out a strong steady stream whether on idle or when I put it in gear? Or only while in gear?
Thanks again. I am a novice but mechanically inclined. Thanks for the reply, HighTrim. I'll be checking back.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Get a barrel & try that -
Lot of difference in muffs & in water

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check your cold start linkage and make sure it is engaging the throttle cam far enough to start while under pressure.