Force outboard prop removal ?

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
I searched on here for the answer to this and could not find it. So I will ask. I have an 85hp Force outboard and it needs tp be replaced. I searched the internet on how to remove it and then went out to do the job. I removed the nut that holds it on and looked for the pin that is supposed to be there but can't find it. Even with the nut off the prop won't budge. Any suggestions?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force outboard prop removal ?

While this is a prop question it is also clearly a Force question.
I don't think anyone could object if you post it in the Chrysler/Force section.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Only the older 85hp have a pin for a cone tip. My 85hp (1985) does not have the long prop shaft (for cone), it has the short shaft. If it looks like this, then just removing the nut is all you need to do. If the prop still does not come off, then the prop is probably corroded to the prop shaft. The shaft is stainless, and the splines in the prop are generally brass.

HPIM6769.jpg

With the nut and washer off the prop shaft, let some penetrating oil soak in around the splines. Then place a block of wood (a 1ft piece of 2x4 works well for this) against the prop blade where it connects to the hub, and gently drive the prop off the shaft by striking the wood block with a hammer. Strike one blade 2 or 3 strikes, then switch to next blade, etc working your way around the prop.

plsports

Cadet

I have a 50hp 1988 force and to get my prop off you twist the cone off first, then pull the cotter pin from the castle type nut and then take the nut off. After the nut is off the prop should pull right off

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark42. That is what mine looks like. I have an 87. I will try your suggestion. Thank-you