Alpha 1 Hydraulic manifold questions

roamrocker

Cadet
Ok so here we go again. I took the boat out yesterday and after about half of the day my trim stopped working. When i opened up the tank to look inside the oil was nasty milky so i got water in there some how. After getting the boat back home i drained and flushed everything and got it working properly again. Now that the system is working again i can run the trim up and down and i do NOT leak any fluid out. I would think that if i took water in it would leak oil out when cycling the system in my garage. My next question is about the manifold on the bottom of the transom where the 4 lines connect into the sides. On the bottom of this manifold there is a small plug. After looking at the manual for my outdrive (Page 553) it is shown there but it does not give a reason or a purpose for it. Could this somehow be the cause of my leak? Is there somewhere else i should be looking? All the connections on the cylinders were tight and the manifold is the only other area with connections under water.

Thanks for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha 1 Hydraulic manifold questions

After looking at the manual for my outdrive (Page 553) it is shown there but it does not give a reason or a purpose for it

If your drive had been equipped with the Mercathode system, wires would have gone through that hole. Turn the pages to 556 and 557.

Is there somewhere else i should be looking?

Could be a trim cylinder leaking, or even water getting into the reservoir through the cap.

roamrocker

Cadet

Could be a trim cylinder leaking, or even water getting into the reservoir through the cap.

I will look into the cap. I would think if the cylinder was leaking water into it i would have the fluid coming out while cycling the trim in the garage?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would think if the cylinder was leaking water into it i would have the fluid coming out while cycling the trim in the garage?

Trust me, it can happen.

roamrocker

Cadet

Im guessing the only way to test this theory would be to put the rams in water and cycle them to see if i get the water in the system then.

roamrocker

Cadet

Also, bolted to the manifold is a block that looks to be made of aluminum or zinc. I was told this is for boats that run in salt water. Is this true and am i safe running around in the fresh water lake without it?

thanks.