trailering problems??

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice
Well I'm back again with problems with my outboard motor. I have a 1983 Mariner 115 inline 6. It will not put the boat up on the trailer! I have changed out the fuel line and primer bulb with a mercury bulb and fuel line, rebuilt the fuel pump, completely disassembled all the carbs and cleaned them and rebuilt them with quiksilver carb kits, and put a new starter solenoid on it. I use sta-bil marine formula everytime I put gas in it as well. It starts up perfectly, it idles great, the hole shot is great, and the top speed is great but when you got to put it on the trailer and give it gas it bogs down and dies. The carbs are adjusted at 1 3/4 also I thought I would add. I don't know what else to do so if anyone else has any opinions at all I would appreciate it. Thank you very much.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: trailering problems??

Well I'm back again with problems with my outboard motor. I have a 1983 Mariner 115 inline 6. It will not put the boat up on the trailer! I have changed out the fuel line and primer bulb with a mercury bulb and fuel line, rebuilt the fuel pump, completely disassembled all the carbs and cleaned them and rebuilt them with quiksilver carb kits, and put a new starter solenoid on it. I use sta-bil marine formula everytime I put gas in it as well. It starts up perfectly, it idles great, the hole shot is great, and the top speed is great but when you got to put it on the trailer and give it gas it bogs down and dies. The carbs are adjusted at 1 3/4 also I thought I would add. I don't know what else to do so if anyone else has any opinions at all I would appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Link n sync will fix this right up. Idle mix, timing, and throttle pickup are out of wack just a little bit.

Get the book, do the procedure, and you'll be amazed at the difference.

hope it helps
John

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice

Can I just follow the link and synch procedure that is posted here on the forum that I have saw a few times?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes that is the right procedure...... Your real problem is that inline carbs are VERY sensitive to angles. Wrong angle ------ no go.

Why are you trying to powerload? It is NOT a recommended process.

j_martin

Admiral

Yes that is the right procedure...... Your real problem is that inline carbs are VERY sensitive to angles. Wrong angle ------ no go.

Why are you trying to powerload? It is NOT a recommended process.

I think he's looking for mechanical advice, not philosophy. :D

Be sure the procedure is for the right motor. They vary somewhat.

Once set up to the default, if it still balks, try setting the idle a bit richer,(which will slow down the idle) then set the timing to get the idle back to where it should be. Then set the throttle pickup a bit later, so timing alone speeds idle up to where it's running near a perfect mix before the throttles start to open.

Works on V6's it seems. They are phat at idle to start with, and the delayed pickup helps quite a bit.

hope it helps
John

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice

well i'm not trying to powerload. i slowly get the boat up on the trailer and then try to slowly accelerate and try to push it up the rest of the way just like any other bass boat i've ever saw but it bogs down and dies everytime so i just have to jump out and winch it the rest of the way on the trailer.

coolguy147

Commander

^^^^ this is why the ramps must close down more often for maintenance^^^^

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice

what does giving a boat gas to push it up on the trailer have anything to do with having to do maintenance on a concrete boat ramp? I'm confused on that one.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm surprised he doesn't scrape his motor on the pavement. At least he doesn't get his feet wet. :rolleyes:

Wacky boat ramp stories. Everybody has a few.
I see people speed launching their boats all the time. I saw it bite one guy in the butt and ruin everybody's day. Saw the genius take all the tiedowns off his 26 footer and back it down the ramp. Unfortunately the damn thing slid off too soon he was still 25 feet from the water but close enough to block it for the rest of the day.

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya'll take it easy on the power loading. Our ramps around here are such that unless you put half your truck in the lake, you have no choice. You have to have your trailer so far out of the water, you have to power it up there. No big deal if you know what your doing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, Let's twist this thread.

I once saw a guy load up an old 22 footer. He was pulling it with a rear wheel drive full size van, however, the van did not have the traction to make it up the ramp. So he backed it down, revved the boat up in forward and then floored the van. He had that "Prop Boosted Trailering" procedure. He didn't crash that day, or blow up the boat or anything, but I do not know how. Why that boat didn't climb the winch stand and hit the van is also unknown.