mercury sport jet swap

barefoot53

Cadet
What is involved in swapping a 120 sport jet out and installing a 175 or 240? How much if any glass work has to be done to install the 175 jet housing?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mercury sport jet swap

Well everything will fit but you are going to need all the cables , hardware and make some major mods the the engine cover , The only person I know who did this spent 5k total and boat went 52 mph and ate gas like the devil .. he sold it a year later for 4500.00 .... Your choice :D

barefoot53

Cadet

Thanks for the imput. I have a sugar sand mirage w a 120 in and love it. A neighbor has a whaler with a 120 in with a burnt piston. He gave me the boat just figured Id upgrade if i was gonna do it. Doesn't sound like its worth it though. Any suggestions on a good source for a reman 120 powerhead?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Invest a 1/2 hr of your time and pull the head and see how bad the block is , could be much cheaper to rebuild yourself. Post up some pics of the bad cylinder if you need help deciding .

barefoot53

Cadet

will do. gotta wait til i can get the boat out of storage. thanks

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get going on it ASAP , I really want to see some pics of the motor as the rebuild could take some time if machine work is involved .

barefoot53

Cadet

Got a quick look at the motor tonight. Im not sure what it has in it but its not a 120. Its a V motor. There isn't any cover on the flywheel or any cowlings for that part with any type of ID. Gonna go back tomorrow with a flashlite and see if I can find a serial number.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is a V motor you have a 175 . Very Lucky find . Heck if you do not want it I will drive there and pick it up :D

barefoot53

Cadet

I didnt get there tonight had some bad storms. Been doind some surfing online, whats the likelyhood that it could be an OMC?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

NONE , different crank splines , Unless he paid someone to custom machine a jet drive pinion shaft it has to be a sport jet .