Average Trailer Width

tloc9880

Recruit
Hello All. First time poster here, also soon to be first time boat owner.

Im looking into getting one of the Tahoe Q4 SS boats and a toy hauler within 6 months from now. The question I have is, how wide is the trailer? Is it about the same width as the boat or is it a lot wider?

If somebody here has a Tahoe already do you think you could measure it for me? Im stuck overseas doing the whole military thing right now so I cant walk into a dealer and do it myself. And the internet isnt helping to much.

Thanks
Tony

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Average Trailer Width

The maximum legal vehicle width is currently 8.5 feet or 102 inches. Therefore neither the boat nor the trailer can be more than that. It can, but you need special permits to tow it and may be restricted to certain roads and travel times.

tloc9880

Recruit

Thanks for the information. I will email Tahoe probably tonight to find out.

The biggest opening im finding on some Toy Haulers is 96" with a trailer width of 102". So im good there. Its either finding a boat that will fit in the toy hauler or get into customizing a flat bed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just how do you plan to stuff the boat into the toy hauler? What am I missing?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would love to see pictures if you get it setup. Could be a really nice custom rig. Hinge the rear ramp upward, back the Toy Hauler in the water, winch the boat in. Where I think you will run into trouble is all of the toy haulers I have seen have about 10 ft cargo area (plenty for bikes or 4 wheelers, but not a decent size boat). The other issue I think you will have is converting the brakes from electric to surge (electric's don't like being backed into water repeatedly). Again, not discouraging you, just some things to think about.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

most states will let you tow the boat behind the toy hauler as long as the hauler, or first trailer, is a fifth wheel hitch to the truck.

tloc9880

Recruit

The plan is with the toy haluer to use a two winches to pull the boat in. With a lot of research im finding a bunch of toy haulers that it will work. The best option for me so far is something like an ATC car hauler with living conditions built in, and they come with winches pre-installed. When we get to the campground we unload the boat from the toy hauler, then we go drop off the toy hauler and set it up for our stay. The following day we actually launch the boat.

The biggest opening that I have seen so far is 98". Ive been looking at a lot of pictures of boats on their trailers and a lot of them the wheels sit under the boats width with either no wheel overhang or just a few inches.

The next option is getting a 40' open trailer and bolting a camper onto that. As long as it looks "pretty" (wife doesnt want it to look like we had it done while we were drinking) I may lean that way. I would probably save a bunch of money as well.