1995 Johnson tilt tube

Forseti

Cadet
The tilt tube in my 1996 Johnson 50 HP is shot and needing replacement. I have been told that I should use a stainless tube rather than the steel OE one. I have looked around and I have a question. The OE tube has a welded flange on one side and a nut on the other and all the SS tubes I have seen dont have the flange. The tube thats on there now has some sort of sensor mounted in the middle for what I guess is the "fast track" trim/tilt system. If the SS tube doesnt have the flange to keep it from rotation in the bore wouldnt that cause a problem? Just in case you guys need to to the model number for the engine it is J50DTELOS

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1995 Johnson tilt tube

There is no welded flange. That sensor is actually a cam that activates the the tilt limit switch. You move that cam from the old tube to the new one

Go to shop evinrude.com and look at an exploded diagram

Forseti

Cadet

I did .. and you can see the welded flange in the diagram. The flange is on the port side of the tilt tube and the nut is on the starboard side.. the only "nut" on the port side has the rubber ring in it to seal to the steering shaft to keep salt out of the tube ....look at number 47 in the diagram ... 27 is the small wiper nut not a mounting nut

convert

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it has never cause a problem for me.