help removing drive shaft

hrspanky

Recruit
i have a 1996 evinrude 150. i am replacing the lower unit. i have removed the old lower unit but cannot remove the drive shaft from old lower unit. any help is appreciated. thx

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: help removing drive shaft

you need to remove the bearing carrier ,behind the prop ,4 bolts ,you may need a puller to pull it out,then there are 2 large snap rings,that will allow the retainer to come out and give you the access to the pimion nut at the bottom off the driveshaft,you need a 7/8 thin wrench to hold the nut and then you can use a pipe wrench on a part of the driveshaft that has no parts riding on it to spin the shaft out,but dont forget the bearing carrier under the waterpump,

hrspanky

Recruit

thx, sounds like more work than removing the lower unit! with that much to do to remove it, what does it take to replace it in new lower unit? i thought it was as simple as driving the shaft in with a rubber mallet. thank you for your reply. i will get started right on it

ADKoutboard

Cadet

check out Sterndrive engineering inc. http://www.sterndrive.cc/ if you end up needing a new lower unit, you can't beat the price! And they have a 3 year warranty!

Tarren

Now got out on the water, and have fun!

hrspanky

Recruit

local dealer wanted 3400 to replace lower unit and give a 90 day warranty. i purchased one from sei for 795.00 + shipping so far it looks like a very nice unit with the 3 year warranty.

ADKoutboard

Cadet

local dealer wanted 3400 to replace lower unit and give a 90 day warranty. i purchased one from sei for 795.00 + shipping so far it looks like a very nice unit with the 3 year warranty.

They are great units. I've installed three of the mecruiser outdrives and one Evinrude/johnson lower unit on our rentals, and haven't had a problem with them at all! And you can't beat the price!

Tarren

"Now get out on the water, and have fun!"

davewingman

Cadet

I am also attempting to remove the drive shaft.I removed 2 screws holding the bearing carrier tabs in. I have made a puller with all-thread and can move the bearing carrier maybe 1/4". Where are the other 2 screws and the split rings? It there anything behind the prop shaft seal? Thanks, Dave

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Should be 4 bolts holding the bearing carrier in. The snap rings are behind the bearing carrier.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

what model do you have??

some lower units dont have any snap rings holding any thing in , or on the prop shaft assembly..

and they only have 2 bolts holding the carrier in!!!

so you will need to list your model number... they are all not made the same!!!

bob

davewingman

Cadet

The most amount of info I can get is that it is a Johnson 150 hp, 1996. I had understood that the same lu was used for 140 hp and above from 1992 thru 2006. It was a rebuilt lower unit and the carrier tabs had helicoils, when I tried to pull it with these one just about pulled out. I am going to make a better puller from some scrap angle I have. Unfortunately the boat is about an hour away and the owner is out of town, I was trying to do him a favor but I might be over my head now. Thanks for your response. Dave

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The most amount of info I can get is that it is a Johnson 150 hp, 1996. I had understood that the same lu was used for 140 hp and above from 1992 thru 2006. It was a rebuilt lower unit and the carrier tabs had helicoils, when I tried to pull it with these one just about pulled out. I am going to make a better puller from some scrap angle I have. Unfortunately the boat is about an hour away and the owner is out of town, I was trying to do him a favor but I might be over my head now. Thanks for your response. Dave

what color is the motor, that might narrow it down. does the motor cover have a name on it..Like INTRUDER, or OCEAN PRO, ect other than the EVINRUDE and 150 ????

that might help us...

if it has the snap rings...you will need a very specialized snap ring plier!!

I took a EXTRA long set of HEAVY duty needle nose pliers and ground the tips down to fit..

they make snap ring pliers to fit, but that length and strength is hard to find!!!!

if the heli coil came out!!!

you might be into a bigger heli coil the next time...or a used carrier from a junk motor..

good luck

you will need to supply more info or a model number from the motor( it is on a tag on the motor!!!!!!!!!)

it would help people help you, help your friend...yikes ha ha ha

bob

davewingman

Cadet

The half shaft and lower unit is dark grey powerhead cover is light gray, Johnson 150 hp fast strike, I'll get the number, thanks for the reply, Dave

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The half shaft and lower unit is dark grey powerhead cover is light gray, Johnson 150 hp fast strike, I'll get the number, thanks for the reply, Dave

you gave us the number i bet...telling us its a FAST STRIKE johnson means it is probably a G coded motor....unless it is one of the oddball FITCH faststrikes( if is truely is a 1996 then I doubt it is a FITCH motor)

is it carbeurated or fuel injected???

in any case i dont think there is a snap ring in there....
this is most likely your motor GL series 20 " shaft

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B...SE - STANDARD ROTATION - GL MODELS/parts.html

cant see a snap ring in there..

bob

davewingman

Cadet

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I believe it has carbs. I tried pulling again last night, 1/4" moving smoothly then up tight. I can see the rear o-ring through the exaust tube on the top of the unit, I should be getting looser not tighter. Is there something that needs to be removed from the shift shaft down deep that is hanging as I pull it? From the drawing it looks like it should slide away.

Dave

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I believe it has carbs. I tried pulling again last night, 1/4" moving smoothly then up tight. I can see the rear o-ring through the exaust tube on the top of the unit, I should be getting looser not tighter. Is there something that needs to be removed from the shift shaft down deep that is hanging as I pull it? From the drawing it looks like it should slide away.

Dave

you have to UNSCREW the shift rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(BUT NOT TO REMOVE THE BEARING HOUSING!!)

if it hasnt already turned...count the rotations, and remember them...!!!!!!!

the instructions are in my hands and basically says:::::

...remove the two screws, washers and retainers

use an appropriate PULLER to pull the bearing housing out of the lower unit

NOTE: the bearing housing should come out with out anything else being unscrewed or taken off.

after that the reverse gear comes out with the thrust washer and thrust bearing.

it says there is a small thrust washer on the face of the gear or on the prop shaft..makes sure that cvomes out as well.

after that...you have to unbolt the pinion gear, and drive shaft, to remove any more stuff out of the lower unit.

they say to push DOWN on the shift rod to engage REVERSE, then unthread the rod from the detent lever.

now you can remove the PROP shaft and the rest of the stuff on it!!!

pretty straight forward...no snap rings

if you are still stuck i can take some pictures of the manual and send them

good luck

bob

davewingman

Cadet

Bob,

MANY THANKS! I will lean on the puller some more and hope it gives. After it comes out there will be tons of cleanup this lower unit, it is full of metal. My whole house reeks of gear oil, oh well. I will let you know how it goes. Again thanks a ton !

Dave

davewingman

Cadet

I was able to get the bearing carrier and pinion apart. I just needed to continue pulling with my homemade puller. Upon inspection the drive shaft bearing had failed, leaving shrapnel to be ingested by the gears. The decision now is between buying parts and rebuilding or purchasing one of the available new units for $795.00 mentioned in the link above. The issue with rebuilding is that the lower bearing mating surface in the case might be too beat up to hold the bearing sleeve. Does anyone have experience or opinions about the aftermarket lower units?

Dave