Question about water pump, and cooling on 1970 evinrude 115 outboard

jklpengilly

Cadet
;)So I have the boat running and took it out on water the other day and had only one hickup... after a long fast run accross the lake it started to missfire and then I shut it off and removed cover and found flywheel nut has backed off almost to the end. tightened it and was back on my way.

but.....

when approaching the loading ramps I was observing many other makes of motors.

100 yamaha when it was running I could see a stream of water coming from the rear of motor right below the top case.

i saw a honda motor do the same thing...

I know this is refered to as a tell tail for the cooling system right??

so watching my evinrude I have no water stream above the water line that I can see..... where is it. this got me worried is my water pump working or not. and how do I check if the water pump is working or not. just wana be sure mechanic said it wall checked out ok but he was using the muffs and garden hose. I just wana be sure my self that its working.

also anything else I should check before I take this motor out for any longer runs. it runs idles perfect, has low hours and pushes my 18 foot bass boat very fast its almost scary....

I have heard of some water pressure guages...???? where do you get them and how do they install.

any pics on here I know this was a somewhat popular motor in the day.

thanks for all the help.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Question about water pump, and cooling on 1970 evinrude 115 outboard

No tell tale on your motor. See sticky Top Secret File if you want add one.

Who had you flywheel of last? The only reason for the nut to come loose is failure to properly install and torque it.

1. The flywheel and shaft tapers MUST be clean and dry. And not all beat up.
2. You MUST use a torque wrench to tighten the nut to ft/lbs specified in the OEM shop manual for your motor.

Failure to do this can result in a destroyed flywheel and crankshaft if the key shears. You only get a few tries before you have junk!

jklpengilly

Cadet

No tell tale on your motor. See sticky Top Secret File if you want add one.

Who had you flywheel of last? The only reason for the nut to come loose is failure to properly install and torque it.

1. The flywheel and shaft tapers MUST be clean and dry. And not all beat up.
2. You MUST use a torque wrench to tighten the nut to ft/lbs specified in the OEM shop manual for your motor.

Failure to do this can result in a destroyed flywheel and crankshaft if the key shears. You only get a few tries before you have junk!

the flywheel was off this spring when the mechanic was working on a no start condition (see my other posts). it looks as if he used an impact hammer to remove the nut. I checked the taper and key and they are fine. tightned to spec and put a small dot of red locktite on it also.

anyone have a right up on a temp guage or wter pressure gauge??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

He probably used the impact wrench to tighten as well. Nut should never come loose if properly torqued. You should find another mechanic.

jklpengilly

Cadet

I got to admit though he had good results for the rest of the boat. Yes I know but also I should have checked it before taking to water.

I was looking in the "top secret" file on top and did not see anything about adding a tell tail to my 1970? is it hidden some where.???

thanks

for my own info what should the temps of the heads be when everything is working good. I have a infra red thermoter i can use.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You quite right ... nothing there about adding a Tell Tale. It involves drilling and tapping, and it really doesn't tell you much, other than the pump is working, but tells you zero about cooling, which is what you really should care about.

Adding a pressure gauge and a temp indicator is of way more value. Teleflex has both ... see here for more info: http://www.teleflexmorse-eu.com/newgauges/faqs.html

Most outboards run ~ 140?F +/- a little.