Wheelbarrow Tire

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi all

The wife broke the valve stem on one of the tires on my wheelbarrow (I'm not getting into that). Anyway, I've got a new valve stem installed in the hub, but how can I force the tire to take air? It's sort of "loose" inside the wheel. I know that if I can get it sealed up for a few moments and pressurize with air the walls should seal against the wheel. How do I do that?

It's a tubeless tire by the way.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wheelbarrow Tire

Hah, I found a suggested to use a ratchet strap around the perimeter of the tire. Tightened it up and was able to get air in it.

Problem solved!

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of my wheelbarrow tires wouldn't even seat with a strap; had to get an innertube.

woosterken

Lieutenant

I DON'T RECOMEND THIS!!!!

if you have never done it , but ,
i seen a fellow put a squirt of starting fluid in the tire,hit it wih a match, and just at the moment it exploded hit it with the air and it sealed it.

woosterken

WizeOne

Commander

Use a rope with a loop, around the circumference of the tire. Draw it tight then have someone air up the tire while you are holding it.

Better yet, pop for a solid tire at home cheapo. Then it will always be ready to go when you need it quick.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

i seen a fellow put a squirt of starting fluid in the tire,hit it wih a match, and just at the moment it exploded hit it with the air and it sealed it.

woosterken
This is easily one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of.

Summer Fun

Banned

Yep that was the trick when doing 10.00 x 20.00 truck tires. :)
The first time you do it you wet your pants. :eek:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

woosterken

ether, works great for reseatting tire bead's in the winter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That has been an accepted practice on large truck and rv tires for 50+ years. :)
I beg to differ

http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/osha_Demount-Mount.pdf

"Do not use starting fluid, ether, gasoline or other
explosive material to lubricate, seal or seat the
beads of a tubeless tire. This practice can cause
the explosive separation of the tire/wheel during
servicing or during highway use, resulting in you or
others being hurt or killed."

Splat

Lieutenant

Beg to differ all you want but it is a well known practice.

After the tire pops back on you need to immediatly add air, or ensure the valve stem is out. As the air inside the tire begins too cool down is will contract and create a vacuum.

Bad idea or not, this trick is a life saver if your out on a trail and POP a tire of its bead.

Bill

D

DJ

Get Brutal with it. My hand truck tires go flat after a couple months.

Wrap a ROPE around the tire-one turn. Keep the rope in the center. Insert a long shanked screwdriver into the knot. Twist until you can't twist anymore. Supply air.

It will work.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Lube the tire beads with a dw soap solution before you try to seat them...it helps a lot.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Beg to differ all you want but it is a well known practice.

Bad idea or not, this trick is a life saver if your out on a trail and POP a tire of its bead.

Bill

Lots of "well-known practices" out there....boating without PFDs....boating at night without lights....texting while driving...drunk driving...you can read about many in the daily paper. Being well-known isn't any endorsement....heck, Osama is well known....:rolleyes:

I've changed a lot of tubeless tires including a few big ones and have seen a split ring come loose while inflating....a piece of it was embedded 3" into a concrete column.

Anyone who understands tire construction, use, and the dangers, would cringe at your post. It is anything BUT a life-Saver

Bruce simply suggested that it is the stupidest idea he has seen written in a post in this forum...I'd agree, but add that it is also one of the most dangerous. :eek:

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

However you get it done, once the bead is set, fill it up with Slime tire sealant. Three years on my riding mower, nary a flat yet!