63 starcraft

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all, I found a 63 Aluminum Starcraft close to me on the Atlanta craigs list that I am going to go look at. I would post the ad here but I'm not sure how to do it so if someone else can please do. anyway it looks good in picture and has original trailer a 100 hp merc o/b that needs a fuel pump and they want 1200.00 OBO so how does that sound as I am going to see it around 4:00 today what should I look for and is the price to high or should I go lower thanks in advance.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 63 starcraft

first,are you looking for a $1200 boat that is 100% ready to go?are you ready/willing to drop another $1000 or even $2000 if motor or boat has issues?if you know how to work on motors/boats and youre buying as a project,ok.if youre funds are limited and youre looking for a pretty much ready to go boat,then use extreme caution!if youre new to boats,PLEASE,take someone w/you that is knowledgeable.i could write PAGES of things to look for,check,etc. but again,if youre aware of ossible issues and money involved w/fixing,then get as cheap as you can and go for it.if you dont know boats or dont have the funds to fix said possible issues,then tell us and we ll try to tell you the MAJOR things to look for and avoid.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. I am a novice when it comes to boats but I am mechanically inclined as I do some restoring on old british cars and now I am getting into boats. this is the first boat I am going to see because it is so close to me but I do know how to walk if I don't like what I see. I was looking for some general advice on what could be a major problem. the owner said the motor needs a fuel pump so should I count the motor out and base the price on just the boat and trailer and what would be a good price to start with also I can spend some money if it is worth it in the end as I can do a lot of the work myself except the motor thanks again in advance.

pduquette

Ensign

The biggest question to me is if it's just a fule pump why havent he fixed it yet....Its a lot easier to sell a boat you can get on and drive around a lake in . Rebuild kits and replacement pumps aren't that expensive (at least for my J/E motors) .... If You have a hard time saying "no" then bring a friend ; and tell him ahead of time what you want /what constitutes junk to you and have them be your guide . Be clear of your threshold of what you would spend your money on and where you draw the line to fold and run . peter

Remember ..the Starcraft club
It's not a cult ....LOL

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys for the input. I will not buy it today this is my first look and a chance to ask some questions about what I find and take some pictures and look for info plate if it has one. I will be leaving soon to go check it out so will report on it when I return thanks.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I'm back from my rudder kickin and now my report. Its a 63 16 ft. starcraft jupiter and the hull looks good but from my inspection it looks and feels like all the wood is rotten as the floors move underfoot. the transom is rotten and squishy as are the side boards and dash. the seats looked like they were redone and it looks like all the parts are there also the ID tag said it should be 60HP max motor so the huge 100hp merc seemed like it was two big for it. the motor will turn over but not run because it needs a fuel pump according to the owner. so should I keep looking or try and get it cheap and if so how much as you guys know better than I do as to the cost and thanks again for all your help.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Low ball offer, sell the motor, and rebuild the Starcraft from the ground up! They look really cool when redone!

I would have never have wanted a boat like that until I joined here and now I'm thinking of how to tell the wife I want a project boat.

There are some really interesting threads on rebuilding and customizing boats and the old Starcraft's look really cool when done properly.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update, I down loaded my pictures I took of the boat but not many as it was starting to rain harder but can someone tell me how to put them on here as I am not the greatest at doing that and maybe yall can see stuff that I did not notice thanks.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

See top three threads here for photo help...
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Well from my latest adventure{see my thread in link below} I bought a 1961 18' Starcraft Holiday, I would decide first if I am willing to put forth the effort & time required to restore an older boat. Does it strike your fancy in any way that will linger? Are you willing to purchase it now, with the real possibility of not being able to use it this season?

As what to look for...I found some pin holes in the hull under the stern and pitting on the outside of the transom where the motor was attached. I would pay close attention to the rivets and seams as to how they're holding up. These aluminum hulls are simple to work on compared fiberglass. Fairly simple to replace the transom, floors, missing or loose rivets, of course 'simple' is relative to your work habits and mechanical experience.

I agree on selling the motor and finding one within recommended specs. That price sounds high for my area of the planet, but with the knowledge you've gained from looking firsthand, you can make your decision...if you want it, offer what you think is fair, taking into account the rotten wood, time required, restoration monies etc. etc.

And remember......It's a Starcraft!!! :D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey all, not sure I did this right but hope the pictures show up with this?

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't worry it took me like 10 tries and 3 hours to get a pic posted. Now that I have it down its no biggie.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Robby, that is what I tried to do but I will have to try and figure out how to do it as I get brain lock when I start trying to download pictures. as you can see in the pictures it will need to be gutted most likely. can anybody see anything that looks like a major problem thanks to all.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the price is high, but after reading LOTS of restore threads, I really really really want one! So I am biased. Hows the windshield look?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello, the windshield is not to bad as no cracks or bad scratches. of course the frame needs some cleaning and polishing. I have not read a lot of the resto threads yet but do people powder coat there hardware instead of chrome or polish and paint thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Price is too high but it's a fun boat. Check out the link in my signature for pics of my '66 Jupiter. I sold mine the end of last season for a little over $2k. Mine was turn-key ready to go with new floor and transom. Good luck. We'd love to add you to the iboats Starmada!

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update, called the guy today and offered 500.00 and after some hymin and hawin he got down to 800.00 but he is going to talk to his wife about it as it belonged to her uncle. you guys think that is still to high or about right opinions please and thanks in advance for your time Alan.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ezmobee, I would have gladly paid 2000.00 for your boat as it looked great. I noticed you had an 85 HP motor on your 16ft jupiter and the one I am looking at has a 60 HP max on it. of course the one I am looking at has a 100 HP merc on it. is going over the max rating a big deal or is there some room for deviation thanks.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Have the seller fix the fuel pump and take it for a test spin. If not he should come down on the price a bit.

I'm guessing there's more wrong with that Merc than just the fuel pump.

Try to get her for $600 and maybe you will get lucky on the Merc.

Personally I'd probably want to get the merc running and sell it so the boat pays for itself, along with a smaller outboard.