Upper Gearcase Solvent Bath?

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Guys,

I appologize in advance if this is a really dumb question. I got some great advice earlier on getting some of the paint off my Volvo Penta SP-A outboard, but as I'm disassembling the upper gearcase to replace gaskets, I'm noticing there's a ton of grime (oil had not been changed in years). The gears and bearings and such look good, but just dirty as heck.

I can reach all the inside components of the upper gearcase but I'd like to clean the whole thing by soaking it in some kind of solvent to disolve as much of the grime and nastyness as I can.

Here's my question: Is there a safe solvent I could use to immerse the upper geacase (disassembled) to help remove this interior grime?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Upper Gearcase Solvent Bath?

Ayuh,.... Kerosine is cheap,+ reasonably Safe to use as a solvent...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

6B's try the engine degreaser they sell @ the dollar store for 1$ I use it all the time on small parts and stuff cheap and easy but kero works great as well.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you want to buy Kero fairly cheap, drop on over to a small airport that sells Jet-A1 fuel.

Tell them it's for your home built diesel powered airplane. shop around. It can usually be had for a lot cheaper than buying "regular" K1

Cheers,

Rick

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I'm working on it. The drive has alot of pitting in the aluminum so I'm doing what I can to clean that out as well. I've used some "simple green" and thats taking some good parts of it off.