Auto Battery Or Marine Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElkLakePat

Cadet
I have a small tri-hull Yar-craft boat with a 65hp Mercury Outboard engine and I am wondering if I need a Marine Deep Cycle battery or can I just use a auto battery to run it as the warranty are generally longer on auto batteries then marine. As far as I know my battery is only used for starting my motor and working the bilge pump from time to time when I activate it by switch. It has lights but I dont generally go fishing at night so...any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: Auto Battery Or Marine Battery

I have 3 car batts on my tug for 3yrs and all is fine. :)
At half the price of marine batts. :eek:

2 are starting batts and the other is the house batt. .:)

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Cut/ pasted from Google:
The names "auto" (or automotive) and "marine" primarily give marketing information for batteries rather than specifications for use. Both cars and a speed boats need a battery to start, but the alternator provides the electricity while running. Some pleasure boats run more like RVs, cruising for a while, but often continuing to use electrical power when stopped. So, in some cases, automotive and marine batteries are interchangeable.
Basic Battery Design
Four basic types of battery designs need to be considered, and all are determined by the thickness of the lead plates. Thin plates are less expensive and provide higher cranking power. More expensive batteries with thicker plates have reduced cranking power, but will run longer. The thicker the plates, the more the battery can be discharged without damage. By rule of thumb, "auto" batteries have the thinnest plates, and expensive (and heavier) "deep cycle" industrial batteries have the thickest plates. "Marine" and "hybrid" batteries have plate thicknesses somewhere in the middle.
Automotive Batteries
Generally speaking, an automotive battery with thinner plates will have a higher cranking power. A higher power automotive battery has larger, but not thicker plates, and will have more cranking power than smaller plates of the same thickness. But either can be discharged only about 5 percent before needing a charge. An automotive battery advertised as an RV battery may have thicker plates and therefore a longer reserve capacity, but may be constructed exactly the same as a battery designated "marine."
Marine Batteries
A marine battery usually will have thicker plates that an auto battery and therefore less cranking power, but longer reserve capacity. A higher power marine battery has larger, but not thicker plates, and will have a longer reserve capacity. A typical marine battery can be discharged to 20 percent. Batteries with even thicker plates may be labeled "hybrid" or "deep-cycle" marine batteries and can be discharged to 50 percent before needing a charge. These may be constructed exactly the same as some batteries designated "RV."
The Marine Problem
To quote David Pasco in "Boat Battery Basics," an Internet information site, "The usual reason why boat batteries are dead is due to having the wrong type, size or quality to meet the vessel's demands. Truly good batteries are expensive and there are few boat builders that provide good batteries with new vessels; usually the quality is minimal, the amount of power inadequate, and the type ill-suited." So even in a new boat with a new battery, upgrading to a higher-quality battery may be the best option.
Battery Specifications
Ampere hour rating is the most common specification and is calculated by multiplying the current in amperes by the time in hours that the current will flow. Cold cranking amperage (CCA) indicates the maximum starting current the battery will provide for 30 seconds at 0 degrees F. Reserve capacity tells how long the battery will put out 25 amps before needing a charge. These specifications apply to all batteries designated either automotive or marine and should be used to determine how a battery best serves its intended purpose.
Conclusions
For a speedboat with a 400-cubic-inch engine in Minnesota, the best choice could be an auto battery with a high CCA. For an RV going on a camping trip, using lights and music all night, or for a pleasure boat with the same plans, either a marine or an RV battery with a higher AH rating and longer reserve capacity would be the best bet. Or, for those who can afford it, a much heavier deep cycle industrial battery can discharge right down to 80 percent before the lights start to dim.

ElkLakePat

Cadet

Thanks alot guys for your information. I appreciate your quick response. So far leaning towards the auto battery. Anyone else have any input? Thanks

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have one marine battery (bought at walmart) and one battery that came out of my chevy truck. They've been in the boat for 3 years, never charged them over the winter or anything. Work flawlessly

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

I run a Costco auto battery with my Merc 850; but I probably shouldn't because of the fact that the older outboards do not provide voltage regulation. When my battery is fully charged and I do not have any lights turned on, I get voltages approaching 18VDC from the stator. Hard on any battery and very hard on electronic gear.

That's one reason why a lot of boats have two batteries; one for starting and the other for the gear. The second one is not charged by the engine so it keeps a nominal 12VDC output for gear.

Here's an interesting read from CDI on batteries and related issues. If you read this I think you will understand better what the difference between batteries can mean to you.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/downl...ues, Regulator-Rectifiers and Tachometers.pdf

Still; a lot of people like me and the other posters here use auto batteries with no big issues. Like you say; the warranty is better. Costco will replace the battery for 3 years; after that it's pro-rated.

Chuck

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Battery warranty is meaningless. By the time it dies and they prorate it, you don't end up with much.

The best I ever got out of a car battery in a boat was 3 years. My last marine battery lasted 8. Compare price and do the math.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

One additional item. marine batteries are usually built with threaded terminal for wingnuts as well as an automotive clamp terminal. This is much better when the battery needs to be pulled for charging or adding ring fittings.

I have always used marine batteries in the boat because of the ability to withstand a pounding (offshore/rough water) where auto batteries are a little more sensitive due to the thinner lead plates.

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a auto battery in my ob. 4yrs old. If you want a good battery that you can discharge alot look for what is called a dry battery(they have AGM between the plates that holds the acid.) If the battery is maufactured properly will last many times. good for the rv and boats of that nature. the price is a litte higher, but if it last longer and handles more cycles could = $$$

cribber

Lieutenant

I have a Interstate marine deep cycle battery on my boat that is now nearly three years old and still hanging in there. The peak voltage has dropped off a bit and in the same time frame I've had to replace the Duralast battery in my car that was replaced just before I bought our boat.

With the pounding the boat takes on any given weekend I'm sure an automotive style battery would have likely failed. I love taking my Glastron GT-185 out and catching some air jumping waves and wakes!!! When the Interstate gives it up I'll drop in and AGM battery to replace it.

Forgot to add... The Duralast was replaced by Autozone for free since it was still under full warranty because it was just days under two years from purchase and I didn't have the receipt. My local AZ rocks in Leesburg Florida!!

ElkLakePat

Cadet

Thanks Alot everyone for the info. I ended up getting a new marine battery...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you bought a deep cycle just to start your outboard I think you made a mistake. It will get the job done (I'm using one now actually) but it's not ideal. There's a third option and that's a marine starting battery. That's what I would have recommended. A deep cycle won't deliver the same starting power as a starting battery and won't particularly like the constant slight discharge/recharge that starting batteries endure.

I'm currently running a deep cycle just because it was my second battery in my old boat which I kept. I didn't want to leave the new owner with no battery so I left the starting battery in it. Both were Die Hards and lasted over 5 years. I'll be buying a Die Hard marine starting battery soon and putting my deep cycle back into "backup" service.

FrankReebig

Recruit
I have a small tri-hull Yar-craft boat with a 65hp Mercury Outboard engine and I am wondering if I need a Marine Deep Cycle battery or can I just use a auto battery to run it as the warranty are generally longer on auto batteries then marine. As far as I know my battery is only used for starting my motor and working the bilge pump from time to time when I activate it by switch. It has lights but I dont generally go fishing at night so...any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
Marine batteries are best for the boats. I personally used it and it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.