Park Ranger got me today

drrtydog

Seaman Apprentice
Well i was coming in from fishing on my 14' john boat that only has a 9.5hp. And the park ranger said i was going to fast and then wants to check my saftey stuff. Well im short a life jacket, my son who is 10 i guess was suppose to have one on at all times, no whistle, and no fire extinguisher. Tickets me for only 1 thing and when i come home i checked and from what i read i do not need a fire extinguisher. Can someone tell me if this is correct that i dont need it? I forgot about the whistle and the thing about my son was new to me since it has been a few years since i had a boat.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Park Ranger got me today

Laws vary greatly from state to state so it would be a good ideal to pick up a rules brochure, most Wal-Marts carry them. Here in Ky a fire extinguisher is required anytime you have anything, a motor or say a lantern, that is powered by some kind of fuel. As far as a signaling device here that is only required on boats 16 ft and larger. The life jacket laws I believe are a federal thing and should be the same from state to state. I just started using one the self inflating life jackets and also just found out that to be considered a life jacket it has to be worn at all times. So if that is the only life jacket on board and I take it off I could be fined for not having a life jacket on board. You need to check your local laws also on insurance. Some states require and some states don't to have insurance on your boat.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

like nimmor said, reg vary by state. Check your state DMV web site for specific rule.

B

5150abf

Vice Admiral

you may not by law need to have it but it sure is a good idea.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also check the difference between freshwater and saltwater regulations. Flares are required on saltwater, but likely not on freshwater.

I carry a fire extinguisher whether or not the fuel tank is removeable from the boat. If there's a fire, would you rather extinquish the fire or throw the fuel tank overboard. Now you still have the fire to put out and just create a fuel spill.:eek:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

He found three violations, but only cited you for 1...even if one of the 3 is questionable. You're money ahead...he was generous/lenient. Check your state regs and get your boat up to snuff. Fire extinguishers are cheap insurance, keep one aboard.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also check the difference between freshwater and saltwater regulations. Flares are required on saltwater, but likely not on freshwater.

I carry a fire extinguisher whether or not the fuel tank is removeable from the boat. If there's a fire, would you rather extinquish the fire or throw the fuel tank overboard. Now you still have the fire to put out and just create a fuel spill.:eek:

Not particularly true. For example, in the Great Lakes, it depends on length (Over 16 ft?). If I recall correctly, any water under Coats Guard supervision requires flares over a certain length.

TerryMSU

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure of your location, but here in Texas anyone under the age of 13 MUST have a life jacket on while the boat is moving. If the anchor is out, then no life vest needed. Pull the anchor and he must have a life vest on. As for the other items, I think the other items are required here as well in a motorized boat.

Texas Boating Laws:

All children under 13 years of age in motorboats under 26 feet in length must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved PFD while underway. Underway means not at anchor, made fast to the shore, or aground.

Vessels 16 feet and longer, excluding canoes and kayaks, are required to be equipped with one Type IV throwable PFD in addition to the Type I, II, III, or V PFD required for each person on board.

Any vessel less than 12 meters in length (39.4 ft.) is required to carry a whistle or horn, or some other means to make an efficient sound to signal intentions and position in periods of reduced visibility.

Outboard motorboats less than 26 feet in length, of open construction, not carrying passengers for hire, are not required to carry fire extinguishers; however, a fire extinguisher is required if one or more of the following conditions exist: (1) Closed compartment under thwarts and seats wherein portable fuel tanks may be stored. (2) Double bottoms not sealed to the hull or which are not completely filled with flotation material. (3) Closed living spaces. (4) Closed storage compartments in which combustible or flammable materials are stored. (5) Permanently installed fuel tanks. (6) Inboard engines.

Thanks, Steven

drrtydog

Seaman Apprentice

i know about the 13 and under law now, cause he said it is a new law just passed so more than likely they are just warning people for a bit. I guess il just get a fire extinguisher anyway if it is law or not.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot about the whistle and the thing about my son was new to me since it has been a few years since i had a boat.

2007 Post
Another i have not found a for sure on is what are necessary to have on the boat. Whistle, fire extingusher?????????? Life jackets a must or not? Im in Iowa and will be only on lakes.
Let your
google-logo-small.gif
do the walking.

:)

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I got nailed the other week for doing something real stupid on my part. I promised my son I would get a tube & take him & his buddy's tubing. The one day we had nothing to do so I said , lets just grab the tube now & try it out. This is my 1st year with the boat. Well we were so excited to get the tube, bridal, & rope we just shot right up to the lake. Tossed the tube in, kid hopped in & away we went. Well I didn't even get on plane & when I turned my head to check on the boy I saw the lights on the rangers boat right next to me. I didn't have the required spotter on board. Just forgot about it I guess. He went over the entire boat looking for anything he could find to add to the fine. Everything checked out so I got an $84.00 fine. I think he was just waiting for me to hit the gas so he could pull me over. he must have been watching me the whole time & could have stopped me before I fired the motor up to pull the tube. Oh well, won't make that mistake again.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

all lays vary from state to state. But Here in tn you only need a fire extinguisher if your fuel tank is enclosed in the hull.

drrtydog

Seaman Apprentice

And that booklet says i do not need a fire extiguisher cause my motor is less than 10hp and my fuel tank is removable and have no cabin area. So im not understanding why he said i had to have one. Oh and i did use google thank you and what i came back with is i do not need one but i wanted some people in here to confirm this for sure. I wouldnt second guess it if it wasnt for the Ranger telling me i needed one but after reading i dont so i was confused.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Pat the ticket, get the required equipment and move on.

pduquette

Ensign

Weather an old salt or a newbie ...Take a boater's safety class !! Even the online class will keep your memory fresh and your boat up-to-date......THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!:cool: peter