electrical fire

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, well i had my first boat fire in my boating career 2 days ago, a lil scarry but not bad after it was done looking back...It ended up being the voltage regulator where the fire came from (apparently they just go bad sometimes says the mechanic)
I have a baja blast, 1994 mercury sport jet 90, i found the regulator online for 130 bucks (the dealer wanted 210), now my question is should i be looking at anything else? the one mechanic said the alternator might have caused the problem, or be damaged because of it...now i looked around (internet included) i cant even find an alternator online anywhere for sale for this model...i also cant find it on the boat, does it just look like a normal car alternator, kinda bulky with a pully on the one end (obviously attached to a belt)
my other question is on the new regulator there are 2 red 2 yellow and a greyish wire coming from it, now the wires on the boat were damaged in the fire a little bit, but have lots of line room left for splicing etc...I just wonder if it matters to have the correct yellows matched up and reds...they look to be the same tone of red, but the boats old and the wires are faded so maby it just looks like the same colors.....
any advise is great thanks
Corzy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: electrical fire

The alternator on an outboard does NOT resemble an alternator on a car. Outboards use a stator that creates electricity as magnets in the flywheel spins around it. Look under the flywheel and you will see the stator.

jhebert

Ensign
Re: What Type of Alternator; Identifying Function of Wires; What Components To Check

Re: What Type of Alternator; Identifying Function of Wires; What Components To Check

Your 1994 Mercury outboard motor most likely has a permanent magnet alternator. For information on permanent magnet alternators, see my article on permanent magnet alternators as typically used in outboard motors at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/PMA.html

In electrical circuits the conductors are often identified by using insulation of various colors, however, you should not rely only on the insulation color to identify the function of a conductor in a circuit. Carefully examine each conductor and determine its function in the circuit by where it is connected.

For some guidance on identifying the function of a conductor by the color of its insulation, see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/wireColorCode.html

When there has been a malfunction in an electrical circuit in which a component reaches temperatures that cause combustion, it is reasonable to assume that a very large current flow existed to create that heating. The current flow could also have caused heating or otherwise damaged other components in the circuit. Other components in the circuit in which there was a high current flow should be carefully examined and tested for damage. In a typical outboard motor permanent magnet alternator, the rectifier and the stator windings should be checked for damage from excessive current flow.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: electrical fire

Sorry guys, i thought this might have been in the wrong thread section, but wasnt sure where to post it, and i should have been clearer...Its an inboard engine with outboard jet drive, its just a basic 3 cylinder mercury engine 90 horse power, where should i post this
Thanks for the great reply JH
sorry again