1993 evinrude 48hp once ignition is turned off boat continues to run full throttle

bub87

Recruit
I have a 1993 Evinrude 48 hp. Model # E48ESLETE. I can have the boat in forward full throttle and when i then put the boat back in neutral and then turn the ignition off the boat will continue to run and be full throttle with the throttle at idle position. Got afraid of blowing the engine and have not started it since it did this twice. The boat ran like this for nearly 30 seconds and then shut down on its own both times. Any suggestions of what might be my problem.

bub87

Recruit
Re: 1993 evinrude 48hp once ignition is turned off boat continues to run full throttl

Someone told me it could be the power pack. Would this make it idle full throttle even with the boat in neutral.

bub87

Recruit
Re: 1993 evinrude 48hp once ignition is turned off boat continues to run full throttl

Could this be carbon buildup. Please help!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If your kill circuit develops an open circuit fault, the keyswitch will fail to shut it off, but that wouldn't make it race.

Sounds to me like what ya call "thermal preignition". Ever happens again, hit the choke and don't let up till the motor quits.

go over to the "engine faq" section of iboats and read the "Decarb" thread.

bub87

Recruit

thanks jtexas. I thought this was my problem. I will try the decarb.