I am ready to get rid of this boat!

boatnv

Recruit
Sorry long post, my dad bought this 19' aluminum hull with an 85hp Force new in 1989. He gave me the boat a few years ago, and I have quite a few hours on it. Last summer the engine went away. I had a guy in Reno put a new power-head on (for about three times the original price). By the time he finished the snow was flying and did not get the boat wet before his 90 day warranty expired. Took it out a few weeks ago and seemed to run ok, had a dead spot about half throttle. Took it out this last weekend and I lost spark on number one hole. He did change one of the cdi boxes and I suspect the old one has failed. Apparently on these three cylinders there is a cd not being used, can someone give me some guidance to help switch the boxes. Thanks in advance.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: I am ready to get rid of this boat!

Each cd module has outputs for 2 cylinders.

These would be the orange and red wires coming out of the cd modules if I remember correctly.

You need to figure out which one is not being used.
Switch the trigger signal wires to the appropriate inputs, and the "good" outputs to the coils.

Would certainly help to have a Clymer repair manual for the wiring diagrams.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out with the manual.

john from md

Commander
Re: I am ready to get rid of this boat!

It is easy to see which CDI output is not being used. It is the unused orange connector sitting next to aft CDI module.

Regards,

John