Radio Cutting out when volume is turned up

magicman1223

Seaman
Alright I seem to have an issue with power going to my head unit. Im running a sony gl17w with boss marine speakers all around. The issue i'm having is the head unit will shut off if the volume gets turned up any were above half. The reason I think its a power issue is because I tested it with my multi meter and i'm getting 12volts before the radio is turned on. Then as soon as you turn up the radio it falls to about 5v. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I noticed if i ran an additional lead from the battery to the head unit i was able to turn up the volume as loud as i wanted without the head unit cutting out. There is still a lot of voltage drop in the line i'm not sure what would be considered normal. but seems to drop to about 8 with the volume all the way up with the additional lead. Any help would be appreciated. The boat is a 2001 q3 with a 125 outboard. Thanks

rdhawk1950

Seaman
Re: Radio Cutting out when volume is turned up

Tahoe is addressing this problem at this time. You really need to address this to warranty instead of changing the wireing yourself. Look to your dealer/Bass Pro for help for future needs:

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey RDHawk1950, how did you hear about Tahoe addressing this issue? Are you a service tech? If so maybe you could keep us all updated on current issues.
Seems like his boat being a 2001, probably not going to be under warranty, sounds like an aftermarket receiver as well. I would try and post this under the electronics/electrical forum and you might get more of a response.

rdhawk1950

Seaman

In this case sounds as if the speaker were not matched up with the output of the radio. In most cases to achive correct operation or function in these cases an amp needs to be installed. I did fail to notice that it was a 2001 and was assuming it still had originol equip. Still Tahoe has simular issues with current Sony install being addressed.

magicman1223

Seaman

I still have the original equipment which you can barley hear if you swimming in the water. That is why I wanted to replace it. I was able to remedy the situation by running a constant from the battery. However I believe this will just kill the battery over time. The way it was setup from the dealer was the constant and the swich to power on the radio were running off the same wire. The sony then couldnt draw enough power from the 12 guage wire to power the speakers. I noticed there was a constant 12v in the wiring harness however it did not have a lead connecting it to the radio.