steering cable replacement on 59 sports lido

tim thompson

Seaman
Can someone steer me towards how to replace, how much length and can I find this type of steering cable at Ace or Home depot. We don"t have boat supplys here of any kind. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering cable replacement on 59 sports lido

Plastic covered wire is usually available at most HW stores. You can use dog run stuff, as it is usually strong enough. You will need to measure to old cable how much you need, or measure from wheel to motor on starboard side plus the same measurement on th port side. Now add 5 feet to that for the total length.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You don't give too many particulars, so I will assume that your hull has drum and cable steering.

If so, then you need to buy aircraft type cable, plastic coated. be careful, because this cable is measured by the inside cable diameter, so if you need cable 1/4 inch, you need to ask for something smaller like 1/8 or 3/16.

You will need pulleys for all for corners of the boat and special clips to terminate the cable, plus springs to tension it and a special fitting for the engine.

Measure from the drum to one side and down the gunwale to the transom, then to the center of the hull. Now add from the center back to the corner of the transom. Do the same for the other side. Allow for about four turns on each side for the drum and allow a couple of feet more. Add all measurements to determine the amount of cable needed.

tim thompson

Seaman

yes thanks for your response. It is a drum /cable system. All pulleys and tensioners are in place . The cable is bad. is this cable buyable at a hardware store or do I have to order? Also do I start through the hole in drum then wind and feed even lengths back to transom. Do they wind in same direction or ? This cable is to stay in one piece correct? The cable that is on is spliced up under the dash but was off drum so I couldn't mimic wind. Thanks again Admiral.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I started by centering the cable in the drum. Wrap three or four turns on the drum top and bottom, coming off the top of the drum on the starboard side. Now run it back to the motor, thru the motor pulleys to the anchor points, and clamp it.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Take a piece of the old cable to HD so you get the same size. It's probably5/16. Measure the old cable for length. It'll be longer than you think.

Does your cable run down one side, or does it run down both sides?? Makes a difference in how it wraps the drum and how it terminates at the engine.

Use one continuos cable, center of the cable at the center of the drum. Don't cut until you are sure it is correctly placed.

There was an excellant thread on this subject back about a month or two. Use the search feature....... ;)

tim thompson

Seaman

I don't quite understand about the wrap. Enter line and center . What do you mean top to bottom then out to starboard. Does line wrap in same direction. Does it matter if the line comes off the bottom of the drum or top?

tim thompson

Seaman

Thanks Royal Petty Officer, I looked through the thread.My drum doesn't have grooves and lines are routed down each side. I should be able to figure it out thanks again.