boat taking on too much water

Menace2Authority

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. My boat has recently started taking on about 2-3 gallons of water per day. I notice that there are two rubbers between the transom and the outdrive. One large one which I'm guessing is the main seal and another below it which is longer to allow for more movement and is about 3" in diameter. I don't know what this rubber "hose" (for lack of better term" is but it is clamped on both ends (at transom and at outdrive) , anyway, this hose is all cracked and split. Could water make its way into the boat via this hose? Also what is it for and seeings water has been getting in to the hose is there something I should be inspecting that the water could have damaged?
Thanks
Rob

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: boat taking on too much water

Do a search here regarding "bellows". I believe you will find lots of good information. good luck

Bondo

Staff member

two rubbers between the transom and the outdrive.

Ayuh,.... What outdrive,..??

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the bellows are the rubber boots between the transom gimble housing and the outdrive unit that allow movement for tilt and turning and if any of them develop even a pinhole leak especially the shiftcable bellow which is fairly small in diamator or the driveshaft bellow then you will get alot of water in your boat i had a small pinhole in my shift bellow that when stretched on trimming it up for the night almost sunk my boat try a visual inspection with a good light when its trimmed up to see if you can locate the hole

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the bellows are the rubber boots between the transom gimble housing and the outdrive unit that allow movement for tilt and turning and if any of them develop even a pinhole leak especially the shiftcable bellow which is fairly small in diamator or the driveshaft bellow then you will get alot of water in your boat i had a small pinhole in my shift bellow that when stretched on trimming it up for the night almost sunk my boat try a visual inspection with a good light when its trimmed up to see if you can locate the hole

I would like to add to this if you don't mind.
Go to the local auto store and get a mirror. This will allow you to see some of the blind spots where this hole or crack may be. I myself use a bore scope in the bellows to see any cracks.