Holes in aluminum..........

Section 8

Cadet
The previous owner put many screw holes in the hull of my aluminum boat. Prior to painting I would like to fill these holes.

What is the best filler for small holes on aluminum? Obviously the filler needs to be paintable.

Thanks

sully73

Cadet
Re: Holes in aluminum..........

the best solution would to have the holes welded shut. not sure what would work well as far as a filler.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Yes,

I agree about the only way to maintain integrity in the hull would be to have them welded, then smooth them with a grinder, then fill to smooth any irregularities in the surface..

Dave

lncoop

Vice Admiral

There are several cold weld products that will work fine. There's good old JB Weld of course, and there's also JB Waterweld, which comes in a little tube. It consists of two compounds that you mix by pinching off a piece and kneading it between your fingers. The same thing is available with other brand names as well. All of them can be tapped, sanded or painted and I've had very good luck with them. Welding's best of course, but if you can't or don't want to go that route any of these will work. Good luck and welcome to iboats.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Fill 'em with closed-end pop-rivets....

Section 8

Cadet

Thanks all

I was hoping to avoid rivits, just because of looks.

I will try the JB weld

Small screw holes above the water line, so im thinking welding may be a little much.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Section 8 ( yea I like deep space nine as well ).

This is a classic case of "witholding pertenant information"...

Disclosing above or below the waterline helps us think of the best and Safest ways to help you m8.. and not just you..

I still agree with Bondo and use closed rivets..they are secure and will not move on your paint job. quick and clean. If you use JB then you must prep,fill then sand ..

YD.