Homemade Gaskets

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is a topic that gets discussed from time to time, but I thought it might be ok to bring it up again seeing how there are always new members and new experiences to be shared.

With that said, I am in the process of putting back together my 70hp Chrysler and I am going to need some new gaskets. I do not need a complete set so I do not see the need in spending 80-100 bucks for one. I am going to need gaskets for the reed blocks, cylinder drain covers, and exhaust covers. The head gasket looks to be in real good shape so I will clean it and have got some copper spray to put on it.

My curiosity is if anyone has made any gaskets out of thin cardboard material and then painted it with permatex #3 or something to make it withstand fuel and such? I plan on using high temp gasket maker for the exhaust seeing how cardboard would probably not stand up to the heat.

So I know there has to be some opinions out there on this. Some experiences maybe, please share with the rest if you would. Being for or against making your own is not an issue, I can handle criticism.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Homemade Gaskets

you should be able to buy a 12"x36" sheet of rubberized oil proof gasket material from grainger for about $10. The material and thickness you select will be based upon how much compression you want. You should visit the grainger website in advance and know which material you will be requesting when you get to their store-front sales counter.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I make them all the time. ---Manifold gaskets, bypass cover gaskets, cylinder drain gaskets, and fuel pump gasket. I use black (or grey) 1/32 thick gasket paper from Pep Boy's (Eastern auto store chain). It does not need any coating and can be used as-is. A sheet will make a good number of gaskets and is about 5 bucks. A child's hole punch makes just the right sized bolt holes and can get to most positions. Do not use 1/16 inch. it will be too thick.

I have used the slightly thinner brown stuff, but it is not nearly as good and does tend to weep oil (from bypass covers, for example)

I did make a couple of thin cardboard block base gaskets but have not yet tried them.

I have paid the 11 bucks for exhaust cover gaskets because they are large and complex but someday when bored, I will try making them.

I usually buy the carb flange gaskets because they are standard thermostat gaskets and just too cheap to bother making, but when bored------.

I do not coat them because I am always tinkering and sometimes will remove a component (especially carbs and manifolds) a number of times during the life of the engine.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I found interesting about the permatex #3 stuff. I have heard it said that it helps keep the gaskets from sticking for easier removal. I do not know for sure because I have not used it yet, but maybe someone has and can chime in?

Hey Frank, on the exhaust cover/baffle, just out of curiosity, could a guy just use that high temp caulk and go around all the different sealing surfaces? Or, does a gasket provide some sort of additional water barrier on some parts of it?

I know that is a hard question to answer because it seems sort of vague, but in the picture below you can see where the gasket mated up to the baffle and where the surfaces actually sealed.

Attachments

• Outer Exhaust Cover edit.jpg
    Outer Exhaust Cover edit.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1