Trailer marker light

mrjfish

Recruit
I installed a new L.E.D. side marker light that replaced an original bulb type light which got crushed/broken on my boat trailer. I hooked up the black wire to the power, white wire to trailer frame/ground. I hooked up the trailer plug and blew the running light fuse in my truck. I never blew a fuse anytime before when towing my boat. Does the hitch/trailer need to be in place for ground? Any help would be appreciated. Jm ct

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trailer marker light

Sounds like the wires feeding the light got crushed too. Any signs of that?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I installed four, and had the same thing on the last one. Never did figure it out, so I disconnected it when I got tired of replacing fuses while trouble shooting ... :rolleyes:

mrjfish

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I will take another look at the wires to see if any got crushed/cut during install, but I'm sure all is ok there. Should be a simple swap. Just like changing a light bulb. I'll try a few different things with extra fuses on hand to see if I can remedy the situation. I'll be sure to post results. mrjfish

mrjfish

Recruit

Sounds like the wires feeding the light got crushed too. Any signs of that?
**Marlboro180** You were right my friend. The black wire just got crushed enough against the frame to cause a short. I took the light back off the trailer and taped the wire along the back of the light were it's recessed to be sure it wouldn't move while I mounted it again. Take care and thanks again for the reply's, JM CT:redface:

Last edited: