Lesson Learned

skongolf

Seaman
Well I finally started to repair my trailer after blowing a bearing last year and destroying a spindle in the process. I figured I could get away with putting a straight axle on instead of the 2 inch drop square axle that was on the boat. A few people on here even said it was possible. Sooooo I buy the axle, new brakes and spend a day and half stripping things down cleaning packing the bearings clearing brake lines, ect ect. I get the axle back on and I had to mount it so the spring sat on top of the axle, otherwise I wouldnt have had enough clearance under the boat. Round axles have to bow up i guess. Axle on and I have about an 8 inch gap between the fender and the tire where it used to be about 2 inches. First indicator of no good. So I guess I could deal with that if I had to. I continue to bleed the brakes lines and get the final touches done, btw, I had to buy a new master cylinder for my actuator as well. I get the brakes bled and get ready to move the boat when I notice something at the back of the spring pack doesn't look right. The spring is barely being held on by the rear bolt. The spring pack being compressed on top of the axle has pushed the spring to where it is barely being supported by the rear bolt. If I would have driven, the first bump would have been disaster. Long story short, I found the right axle in town and now have to go through the whole process again. 9 hours of time wasted i guess, well I guess it wasnt wasted, I learned alot from doing things myself, but If anyone is going to replace an axle on their trailer any time soon, USE THE SAME ONE!!:)