overheating

joeclark

Cadet
350/5.7 chevy overheating
changed inpeller in outbrive
changed thermostat
changerd waterpump
checked risers and manifolds
if i hook up garden hose to motor where water comes in from inpeller with out therostat in it runs at 130
when i check to see how much water the inpeller is pushing it is noe much i can hold my finger over it i can hold it back ??????
how much presure shold the inpeller be sending and should i be able to hold my finger on it to stop it i did find a hose that was leaking i fixed it the best i could but i did not replace it to replace it i need to take off my out drive...
could my impeller still be bad

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: overheating

check your power steering cooler. it could be clogged with impeller pieces..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What kind of, and what year outdrive?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Mercruiser,..??

NHGuy

Captain

If the hose from the bell housing to the transom is bad or cracked you won't get enough water into the boat to feed the cooling system. It's a real PITA to change. For $2 worth of hose you spend hours and time. But it has to be right.
There is a you tube video of how to change it. I believe it is a video of how to do a bellows. If you don't know how old your bellows is, you should probably do that at the same time.

joeclark

Cadet

thanks i did replace part of the hose and it seemed to have a little kink in it i'm going to change the hose but i still seem to think its not enough water to feed the motor will also drop the lower and take a look thanks