1989 Capri 1950 Budget ReBuild/Restore

joshn569

Cadet
1989 Bayliner Carpi 1950
2.3 OMC Cobra
I got this boat and trailer for a cheap price. It was parked then sat for 3+ years because of a blown head gasket. The head was taken off and the boat was then forgotten about until I got my hands on it. Its a " BASKET CASE "

This is my first boat. Im going to see if I can make a decent and reliable affordable boat out of it.:D

joshn569

Cadet
Re: 1989 Capri 1950 Budget ReBuild/Restore

It sat with the cylinder head off and other various motor parts off and this is what happend.... I was able to spray some penetrating oil down into the cylinders and free up the motor, but the cylinders needed to be honed.

nowback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice looking boat!
that will be an easy fix i would think.
just remember to check / replace the water pump in the leg good chance thats
reason the gasket went was because of over heating.
my 2 cents
matt

joshn569

Cadet

The floor had some obvious soft spots and needed some serious attention as well. I tour up the carpet and here is what I found.

joshn569

Cadet

So at this point I know know what I have to work with... and I decide to go forward with the project. First I take out the OMC 2.3 Ford engine.

joshn569

Cadet

Now I decide it would be a good time to cut out the rotted parts of the floor.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

looks like a good start! someone mentioned replacing the impeller.....on the OMC its 4 bolts and about 10 min to do. One advantage of the OMC outdrive. What a project, you jumped into it right away and addressed the serious issues right off the bat. keep up the pics!

joshn569

Cadet

Lets take apart the engine....

pulled off the oil pan to have a look at the main bearings. They looked good.

took out the rods/pistons. the rings on #2 #3 pistons were rusted solid. The rings actually broke on me because they were seized to the piston .Cylinders now ready for a good hone

pistons cleaned up nice, ready for new rings.

the head comming apart. It was all rusty and seized up

joshn569

Cadet

All the valves and cylinder head parts all cleaned up ready to be reinstalled with new valve stem seals. ( don't just throw it all in a box. I only labeled the valves and should have labeled everything!:mad:)

The head back together.

Cylinders honed and pistons with new rings installed.

Took the carb apart to give it a good cleaning after seeing what todays gas does to carbs after a few months of sitting.

joshn569

Cadet

Some new flooring.

Remember, I said this is a budget build. I cant afford "marine grade plywood" so guess what im using.....

I will seal it the best I can with what I got and if it lasts 2-3 years Ill be happy.:D

Also, I pulled out all of the old saturated wet foam that was weighing the boat down. It should make a huge difference in weight loss to the boat

joshn569

Cadet

The new headgasket... quite hard to find/get.

cylinder head back on

engine almost completed

joshn569

Cadet

motor back into the boat

yea, I still got to do some carpentry work too

Wouldnt start so a new set of points and condenser was in order

I had to take the starter all apart and thoroughly clean all components of it, it was all rusty inside and the planetary gears didnt spin, the commutator didnt spin the bushing were full of crap ect.

After that it fired up and is now ready for a timing light and other adjustments.

joshn569

Cadet

Nice looking boat!
that will be an easy fix i would think.
just remember to check / replace the water pump in the leg good chance thats
reason the gasket went was because of over heating.
my 2 cents
matt

Thats the kind of input im looking for. Thanks!

joshn569

Cadet

Oxidized paint before and after pics. I used a buffer with some polishing compound and wax.

Before

After

nowback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This project is taking way to long!
more updates are needed. LMAO
Man on a mission or what... Or is there a flood coming that we need to know
about.lol
looking good:)
matt

nowback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remember if you are test running it make sure you are
putting water to the leg not only for cooling but to keep the
pump in the leg from burning up.
you dont want to install a new pump and burn it up.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

wow, looks great man. dont worry about the plywood not being marine. just make sure its sealed completely with resin and you should be good to go. That boat should last a long, long time after you did all that. do you plan on injecting new foam under the wood or no? thats how bayliner did it. put the floor down, then drill holes and inject foam and you can resin the holes sealed if ya want. either way it looks damn good

my gelcoat looked like yours when i first got it too. each time i buff it out it comes back a little better than before. keep the pics comin!

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, I'm restoring a 1994, same model, different engine. My engine was in better shape, even after being dunked, but my deck and upholstery are much worse.

Good job!

joshn569

Cadet

Thanks for all the feedback.

LOL, Ive been working on this project since late may, so it has been a work in progress.

wow, looks great man. dont worry about the plywood not being marine. just make sure its sealed completely with resin and you should be good to go. That boat should last a long, long time after you did all that. do you plan on injecting new foam under the wood or no? thats how bayliner did it. put the floor down, then drill holes and inject foam and you can resin the holes sealed if ya want. either way it looks damn good

my gelcoat looked like yours when i first got it too. each time i buff it out it comes back a little better than before. keep the pics comin!

I dont plan to use any foam, I have heard that boats 20' or smaller need foam or something like that, but I opted to do away with it.