do old aluminum boats REQUIRE seam sealer?

they should be watertight just from the rivets right? or did some boats come from the factory with seam sealer applied?

fixing up a boat that is my name.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: do old aluminum boats REQUIRE seam sealer?

There maybe a gasket type material in between the two pieces of aluminum so be careful if your thinking of welding.
If your rivets are leaking first try rebucking the rivets. If that doesn't work there are several sealers you can use Gluvit, Steelflex, and others. Caulk or silicone would be your last choice.

thanx! after stripping the paint off, we are gonna float test it and see if there are any leaks. whats rebucking the rivets? special tool for that?

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

whats rebucking the rivets? special tool for that?

That is re-hammering the rivets to tighten them up. Unless you have 12' long arms, you'll need a buddy. ;) Buddy holds a dolly (block of steel) against the rivet head while you tap the other side. This 'squishes' the rivet a little and tightens up the joint in the two pieces of metal. Clear as mud? :D

Treager

Seaman Apprentice

My former neighbor in Ohio had a ~14ft jon boat given to him with a 2.2 motor... we took it out for a cat fishing tournament when we realized it was slowly taking on water. We ended up bailing it out the rest of the night before we got in (and finished dead last)...
During the week, I took the boat and propped it level on wooden blocks and filled it with water. What I discovered was that the seam where the hull connects to the transom had tiny leaks (almost like the leaks were sweating).

The boat had been dragged so often that the friction abraded through the metal. I emptied the water and propped the boat in my garage with the bow tied up to a ceiling joist (about a 30 degree angle). I mixed up a quart of epoxy and filled the inside of seam by allowing the epoxy to "collect" at the bottom corner. As it cured, I pulled it up the sides (where the transom meets the hull) as well to ensure no leaks.

Next time out, the boat was completely dry.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aluminum and epoxy expand and contract at different rates; keep an eye out for cracks.