Electric Sheet Metal Shears

mscher

Lieutenant
Will be reroofing part of the pold barn with some used sheet metal. This is the old currogated stuff, pretty thick.

Would like to try some of the electric hand-held shears, with the body that looks like an electric drill. The ones I have seen look like they will use two cutting edges, to cut about a 1/4" Strip out of the cut, hopefully leaving two sharp edged cut pieces.

Just wondered if these are the best choice, or if there is something better and if the cutters are standard/replacable.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Electric Sheet Metal Shears

There's a blade that runs in an ordinary skill saw that works well. You do need ear and eye protection when you use it.

mmwest

Seaman Apprentice

those shears will be your best bet .proper term for them are DOUBLE CUTS not shears ,just thought i'd through that in there.---sheetmetal worker lu 54 houston texas

mscher

Lieutenant

those shears will be your best bet .proper term for them are DOUBLE CUTS not shears ,just thought i'd through that in there.---sheetmetal worker lu 54 houston texas

Do the different brands have somewhat standard blades, that can be easily replaced, or are they make/model dependant?

mmwest

Seaman Apprentice

I've never had to replace but my guess would be their interchangeable.the ones we use state they can cut up to 16ga metal.the most i'd cut is 18ga. If you want them to last.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

those shears you speak of are called "pigs foot" in the trade. They cut through anything like butta!

Agreed about the guage thickness..you really dont want to go too thick but for sheet metal there is none better...

If you are cuttin couragted then sawzall or as suggested blades for your circular saw..

I guess if you had a plasma cutter.....that would be sweet!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use mine a lot- Milwaukee brand. They are great, but not not so great when going through rolled seams ( like on a steel drum:eek:)

mscher

Lieutenant

Picked up one of the double-cut electric shears today. All I can say is - WOW, why didn't I have some of these 20 years ago!

They cut through the old sheet metal roofing like butter. Straight line or curved, no nicks or jagged edges. It is a bit tricky to cross-cut the corrogated metal, but using a sweeping up-and-down motion gets the cut done.

Looked at the Dewalts and Milwaukees, but $150-250, is way out of my league. Would like to buy American, but can't handle 4x the money. Called Harbor Freight, about the "Chicago Electric" model ($59), but they have been out in the store and warehouse since May. Now I know why.

I found the "Tool Shop" brand from Menards on sale for $39.99. It looks exactly the same at the one HF sells.

Now I can gain some toolbox space by, pitching the 10 pairs of hand metal shears, that I have collected and never figured out which colored handle to use. ;)

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I just put a plain steel blade in my skil saw w/ the teeth pointing backward. Hearing and eye protection is strongly advised!! I also just lay the tin on the grass w/ the blade set at full depth.
Mike