Fuel Filter on 1988 4.3L Merc 2BBL

Captain Ben

Seaman
Is the fuel fister inside the smaller nut that is inside the larger nut on the forward portion of the carborator?

What is the right fuel filter? I was told there may be a shorter filter in there, and that i should change to the longer filter.. whatever that means.

Is there a better inline way of filtering the fuel.. a common upgrade which would be easie to change at sea?

Thanks

bradt041

Cadet
Re: Fuel Filter on 1988 4.3L Merc 2BBL

I installed a (see through) fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump in my seville. works good ;)

Captain Ben

Seaman

I believe my filter is in the area circles in red in the picture.

bradt041, can you post a picture of your fuel filter setup?

Attachments

• fuel filter locale.JPG
    fuel filter locale.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 2
  • fuel filter 2.JPG
    fuel filter 2.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 2

Bondo

Staff member

I installed a (see through) fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump in my seville. works good ;)

No,... Don't do that....
Those things have No place on a Boat...

Install a cannister type water seperating filter between the tank,+ the fuel pump...

If you carb has a filter in it, you need to replace it with a copy of what's there...

Captain Ben

Seaman

Can anyone suggest a setup for fuel/water sep? I see Sierra offers many..

I need the whole kit.

NHGuy

Captain

The circles are not where the inlet fuel filter is. It's inside the carburetor where the metal line from the pump goes into the carburetor. It's nothing more than a cylinder shaped screen to catch any junk that gets by your inline filter/water separator (if you have one).
And if you don't have one it would be wise to get because it is made to be changed easily, it spins on like an oil filter. It will keep you from needing to do the carb screen as often.