Chrysler 70 HP Carb Rebuild

Gone-Fishing

Cadet
I recently bought a boat that was supposedly running last year but the guy thought it had carb problems. I have been messing with it in my spare time and I just put fresh gas in and it still didn't start. I removed a plug and tried to see a spark but couldn't see one. I ended putting it back in and after awhile it started up idled perfectly for about 10 seconds and died. There seems to be alot of fuel running out the intake so I am thinking it does need rebuilt. What should I look for when I take them out? Also if someone has a similar motor I need to compare pictures of my linkage. It doesn't look like it moves the throttle up going forward but does in reverse. The cables are working as far as I can tell. Right now I am just glad to hear it start for the first time but I think it is flooding itself.

cbell11

Recruit
Re: Chrysler 70 HP Carb Rebuild

Did you have any luck with the carbs / motor getting it running?

I have a 707HF motor (73, 70hp) and just replaced all the ignition stuff. I have a nice spark now but it doesn't want to run long. The bottom cylinder is pumping out alot of fuel when I turn the motor over with no plugs in it and keeps soakin the plug so we pulled the carbs last night to clean them up.

I'm going to set the low speed adjustment to 1 turn out tonight and give it a shot to see if it's still dumping the fuel. It was set at almost 2 turns out.

I was also wonder if the fuel pump check valves could be letting fuel in the #1 cylinder so we replaced those and the diaphram so not much left to troubleshoot.