reverse lock

coolguy147

Commander
i dont know what to do?

i have the cam in the lower unit in the right place it moves and such.

i put in neutral it will lock a little bit and reverse a bit more but it's not enough?? how far should the lever be over the bar? needs to be more but there is no adjustment?

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: reverse lock

Don't know what motor you have but does it have a plastic rod that actuates the lock when the cam turns? Maybe the rod is bent a little so it doesn't move the lock enough?

HD

coolguy147

Commander

oh sorrry! lol first time ive ever done this.

1961 mercury 500

i don't think so seeing as it's straight steeel:D

i wouldnt be able to bend it back without breaking it?

coolguy147

Commander

bump:D

maybe i could somehow make the rod in which the thing locks down on bigger? adding something? ideas?

ktonkel

Cadet

On my motor (a 1961 Mercury 700, I believe it's similar) there is a cam in the lower unit that turns with the gear shift. The cam pushes up a small plate, which in turn pushes up a plastic "spool" to engage the lock.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

that stupid little plastic deal that turns with the shift rod just needs to be replaced after 50 years.... even on my 79' it wore down that no matter how I rotated it around the shift rod, would not engage the rod to the reverse lock....

coolguy147

Commander

that stupid little plastic deal that turns with the shift rod just needs to be replaced after 50 years.... even on my 79' it wore down that no matter how I rotated it around the shift rod, would not engage the rod to the reverse lock....

i think that it just might be worn down....

im going to try and making my rod bigger.

i cant really pull the motor up in when in reverse by hand so there's hope:D

coolguy147

Commander

that's a cool link!

i have it set in the right place. according to the manual i put the unit in foward gear then have the gear line up with the port side long bolt. so it's set right but i don't undertstand why it doesnt move the bar enough. ive checked all three positions. foward it's way up. then neutral it's down more but i can pull the motor up with my hands. reverse it's a little bit harder but with more force i can pull the motor up.

coolguy147

Commander

ive got an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what if i added some washers that go under the lower came to raise it a little bit?

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

try it, let me know how it works, I wish I would have thought of that but I already sold that old motor so I dont worry about it no more.

coolguy147

Commander

im thinking 2-3 washers should be good. man that is one great idea! lol.