pre alpha trim pump hose

drotti2004

Seaman Apprentice
I have a pre alpha system and the 2 lines tha run from the trim pump to the rear of the but under the engine are leaking at the pump but fine going to the dist block , I cant get in there to change the lines behind the transon so was wondering if I could cut them and plumb in to it with new ends going to the pump and using a clamp with a connector or will it be to much pressure for a connector any suggestions please.

CapnMorgan

Cadet
Re: pre alpha trim pump hose

you might be able to use compression fittings, if you can get a flaring tool in there and flare the lines to use a coupler that'd be your best bet. I don't think rubber with hose clamps will be very reliable if it works at all.

haulnazz15

Captain

No you can't splice into the line, it won't hold as the pre-alpha trim pumps use high pressure. However, there is a much easier solution for you. If you lay underneathe the outdrive outside your boat, you will see that the hydraulic trim lines go into a manifold held on by two easily accessible bolts. Just remove the bolts, pull down the manifold, pull the inside transom hoses through. Buy new lines (they are cheap, like $20/ea), attach them to the manifold, get a gasket for the manifold, and bolt it back on. Probably a 20-30 minute repair if you're fast. You will of course have to bleed the trim system, but it's not that difficult. Remember to plug the hoses/trim pump with a cap to avoid losing as much fluid as possible.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... DON'T cut,+ refit the ends... Hose clamps won't hold the Pressures seen...

drotti2004

Seaman Apprentice

No you can't splice into the line, it won't hold as the pre-alpha trim pumps use high pressure. However, there is a much easier solution for you. If you lay underneathe the outdrive outside your boat, you will see that the hydraulic trim lines go into a manifold held on by two easily accessible bolts. Just remove the bolts, pull down the manifold, pull the inside transom hoses through. Buy new lines (they are cheap, like $20/ea), attach them to the manifold, get a gasket for the manifold, and bolt it back on. Probably a 20-30 minute repair if you're fast. You will of course have to bleed the trim system, but it's not that difficult. Remember to plug the hoses/trim pump with a cap to avoid losing as much fluid as possible.

I don't see these bolts if so they are 2 bolts with a flat head on the transom is this were your talking about. This is A 1968 MERCRUISER 160 mabey mine can't be done this way.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't see these bolts if so they are 2 bolts with a flat head on the transom is this were your talking about.

Ayuh,... To find the manifold, lay on your back, on the ground,+ look at the very Bottom of the transom assembley...
It's held on with 2 Nuts, not bolts...

ziggy

Admiral

this is a mc-1 drive. 1975.

009-1.jpg

the pic is of the manifold from behind it, looking fwd and up. the bar ya see is the ft. mount of the ft. of the trim rams.
if you take the manifold free from the boat, the other side contains the connections from the inside of the boat.

drotti2004

Seaman Apprentice

this is a mc-1 drive. 1975.

009-1.jpg

the pic is of the manifold from behind it, looking fwd and up. the bar ya see is the ft. mount of the ft. of the trim rams.
if you take the manifold free from the boat, the other side contains the connections from the inside of the boat.

how do I see your picture?

ziggy

Admiral

how do I see your picture?
Ayuh,... To find the manifold, lay on your back, on the ground,+ look at the very Bottom of the transom assembley...
or ya could follow the trim lines from the rams back towards the boat. they will terminate at the manifold..

haulnazz15

Captain

Sorry, meant nuts (not bolts) but the rest of my description is pretty self-evident.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

His transom is older than yours zig. He doesn't have the manifold. I know exactly what he has.

What you need to know is if you have power tilt (2 lines visible, 1 per trim ram, on the outside of the boat) or if you have power trim (4 lines visible, 2 per trim ram)

Either way, if it's the line leaking on the inside of the boat, you have to pull the drive and engine to access them.

drotti2004

Seaman Apprentice

Yes your correct 2 lines at each ram and hose inside leakink so I will try some good compression fittings to join pump side to the good end going underneath
if don't work I will have to sell the boat no time or money to tear it apart.
Thanks for the help guys.

ziggy

Admiral

so what are ya working on? i don't know how to tell what ya have from the info posted up. aprox. year of engine and drive.

my pic is of a pre alpha. a mc-1. w/ power trim. but pre alpha can still mean a few different drives. and trim systems.
Yes your correct 2 lines at each ram
to me, that indicates power trim. similar to what i have. however i most certainly am not a marine tech and have much to learn myself.

if it's older than mine. my suggestion would be to get service manual #1. it'll have the exact facts (+ pics) you need to work on it.

drotti2004

Seaman Apprentice

I stated earlier in this forum , but it's a 1968 merc 160 250ci and I'am not exactly sure what they call the outdrive pre alpha or r or 1 .

JustJason

Vice Admiral

it's a 160 drive. This is the best your going to get as far as a parts diagram goes...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr= 46767&ivar=IMAGES/CRUISER/46767/B8.png&inbr=1564&bnbr=12&bdesc=MERCRUISER+120%2C+140+AND+160+WITH+POWER+TRIM+PARTS+LIST

The trim hoses go to brass connectors that are through bolted to the gimbal housing. On the other side of the brass connecters (outside the boat), new trim hoses attach and are then routed to the trim rams.

They are a pita to work on as everything has to come apart. Drive off, engine out, bellhousing and usually bellows off to. Just to fix a trim problem.

drotti2004

Seaman Apprentice

Well what do you guys think about me bypassing that area because I already have bypassed the limit switch a year ago. I would run new lines from the trim pump through the transom to a tee for each side.

drotti2004

Seaman Apprentice

well I was thinking about using brake line to bypass the old trim lines and go through the back of the transom do you think brake lines and brake fittings will hold the pressure.