Ignition, starter, fuses????? Related or not?

ovlov5353

Recruit
Hello and thanks for checking my post out. (sorry for the length) I am a newbie and I am in need of some help. Here is the background:

1994 OMC 3.0- Recently bought boat with existing starter problem (starter hanging and not disengaging and blowing ignition fuses). I then replaced the starter with an aftermarket brand marine starter and everthing worked fine. Before and after the starter replacement I had blown a few ignition fuses intermittently so I upgraded to a 20 amp from a 5 amp (sounded more reasaonable for an ignition fuse according to some people that I have talked to). Thought I had all my issues solved. Just spend 3 days on the lake and made it through all three days and only blew 1 ignition fuse (figured I either had a short somewhere or a bad ignition switch- no big deal). I did also occasionally have an issue with the new starter again not disengaging (kinda pointed back to ignition switch again). Feeling pretty good about my first trip out and having a good idea of how to track down the few things I still need to tinker on, I then proceeded to start the boat to go load it and the starter is now not engaging to the flywheel, a completely new issue. It spins and you can barely hear a small "click" of the starter making very light contact with the flywheel. I tried turning the motor to find a better place on the flywheel and either it is not the flywheel or I did not turn it enough. Here are my questions:

1- would an ignition switch possibly cause all these issues (or at least most of them?
2- Is it more likely that I got a defective starter?
3- Is it more likely that I am dealing with several different issues (defective ign switch, short, bad flywheel, and/or defective starter)? Which of these would be more likely to be related and be caused by the same part?

I really need someone to point me in the right direction. I really don't want to take it to the local highway robbery boat mechanic if I can avoid it. I will probably be starting with a new ignition switch (like $15). It can't hurt. Then what? Please help.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Ignition, starter, fuses????? Related or not?

I know cars well so here is my take. I would start with checking out the ignition switch. Get a VOM and measure voltages with key engaged and off both. Then proceed to the solenoid for the voltages engaged and just on. Usually this would allow you to decide which could be the problem instead of just spending your way to figure out the problem.,

ovlov5353

Recruit
Re: Ignition, starter, fuses????? Related or not?

TiredoleBoy,

Thanks for your reply. The ignition switch is only $15, so I am thinking about just replacing it and seeing what happens. I don't have a VOM- I am assuming "voltage ohm meter" My concern is that some of these issues have been somewhat intermittent, therefore may be hard to really know if they are solved. The starter is covered under warranty, so I would assume that I am not getting the correct voltage out of the solenoid, it should be covered?