scored cyl wall

pmosier

Cadet
Got a free 60 hp Chrysler magna power, was 200 bucks before I discovered a dead upper cyl. The following pictures tell the story, can I just toss some rings and a gasket kit and call it a love story?

Attachments

• teardown 008.jpg
    teardown 008.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • teardown 009.jpg
    teardown 009.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
  • teardown 011.jpg
    teardown 011.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: scored cyl wall

Whats the compression look like? I have the same issue, caused by an improperly adjusted carb (too lean). I got lucky and only lost 10lbs of compression on one cylinder. I am still running it to this day, and the piston looks like yours. Check your compression, if it is below 100 I would order a kit. P.S. the piston actually melted causing little balls of aluminum to get caught in rings, spark plugs etc. My 55hp has taken a beating and kept going though!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can try to re-ring and do nothing to the cylinder and it might last.Then the score can ruin the new rings and you will be wasting that money.
The piston might last and then the sides might be ruined beyond help.
It doesn't take that much to re-bore and get a replacement piston.There ton of used parts out there. valleysales@charter.net this guy has TONS of old Chrysler parts.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That piston is damaged due to detonation and at this point it looks relatively mild. If that cylinder still has compression--say above 90-100 PSI, try a light honing and a new piston. HINT: These pistons are not available HOWEVER, you can buy a piston for a late model FORCE 75 or 90 (3.375 bore std.) from Wiseco and it will fit. You only need to modify it by drilling two holes in the skirt for gas flow.

When you reassemble, be certain to go over BOTH carbs and make sure the top one does not go lean again.

The engine was probably the BEST design Chrysler ever made and is a very strong runner--for that era. It was the epitome of cross-flow design. Shame it was never extended to the larger three and four cylinder engines.

BTW: Magna-Power II was a very poor, trouble prone ignition. If yours keeps running, you will be one of the lucky ones. If it fails, consider retrofitting to the Prestolite or sell the engine.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Got a free 60 hp Chrysler magna power, was 200 bucks before I discovered a dead upper cyl. The following pictures tell the story, can I just toss some rings and a gasket kit and call it a love story?

How deep is the biggest score mark on the picture on the left? Looks deep. Since you have the head off you should take it in to get a quick measure and an opinion.