Evinrude fuel problem (I think)

antique fisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently acquired a 85hp 87 Rude which hasn't been run in quite a while. It wouldn't start or run and I found out that it wasn't getting fuel. I rebuilt the fuel pump, removed and cleaned the carbs with compressed air, still no firing.It has two carbs with two throats each. As long as you inject fuel through the throats, it will start and run until it burns what you injected . It then won't restart until you inject more fuel you. Do you think that it still has carb problems or am I missing something ? Any help is greatly appreciated . What are the chances of both carbs being bad at the same time ?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude fuel problem (I think)

Yes, you still have fuel related issues. Check them again, if it will only run on the fuel you sprayed into the carb it means no fuel is getting through them.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I assume you're priming the fuel line? Then I would estimate the chances of both carbs being bad at approximately 100%.

I'm betting this is your problem right here:
"...cleaned the carbs with compressed air..."

Compressed air doesn't have what it takes to remove varnish left behind by evaporating fuel. And it won't resolve any of the problems caused by old gaskets or o-rings, or worn float valves, etc.

Read the thread over in the "Engine FAQ" section of iboats, install carb kits, link & sync.

A new water pump impeller would be a really good idea, after years of inactivity.

I highly recommend the factory service manual...will pay for itself many times over.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You might want to double check the engine/year. OMC did not make an 85 hp engine in 1987. It's helpful for those trying to make suggestions. The year will dictate the type of fuel pump on the engine. You can try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. This forces fuel around the pump bladder-direct into the carb bowls. If it won't run with fuel in the bowls, the carb body passages may be restricted.

antique fisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am sorry for the model year mistake, it's 78 not an 87. It's bad getting old and trying to make up for the lost time of working and not fishing or working on boat motors. Yes, the pump fills the bowls but doesn't get through the carbs.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you know you are getting fuel to the carb bowls, you may still have a restriction inside the carb passages. On carbs that have been sitting for a long time, the passages will restrict with a gelatin from the dried fuel. One of the best things that will remove that dried fuel is an aerosol carb cleaner. It should be used to clean out each passage in each carb. Pressurize one passage in one carb, note the spray coming out. Do the other carb (same passageway) and compare the spray out of that passage. They should be the same. Repeat this on each carb passage. When you clean the carbs, you need to remove all the jets from the carbs. Visually inspect them for dirt and debris which will restrict fuel flow through them.