89 OMC 5.7 tHROUGH HULL cONVERSION

89 Fourwinns

Recruit
Does any one know if it's possible to convert my 89 Fourwinns Horizon with a 5.7 OMC Cobra to thru hull exhaust? Love the boat, don't want to buy a new one.

Thanks.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89 OMC 5.7 tHROUGH HULL cONVERSION

Of course it is.. now you didn't mention a budget.

Pull the engine, remove the Y Pipe, make a block off plate, drop the engine in, buy a kit or components, measure where to cut through the transom, seal, install, enjoy.

Captains Call is a good way to go, and still be able to run quiet to appease the authorities and marina etc..

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Like Kainon says,... No problem, just break out the Checkbook...

Shouldn't set you back more than a Grand or so... Depending on how you get there of course...

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

You shouldn't have to remove the engine or Y pipe unless you have clearance issues, just cap both sides.

Can't run Captain's Call if the Y pipe is removed.

CapnMorgan

Cadet

I just bought a set of used tips off ebay for $50 and cut them in directly behind the outlets on my mercruiser, but it had center rise manifolds and they were 90 degrees. I bought the hose from an asphalt sealer company ( they use it for the sealer trucks) and I had thru hull exhaust.

My current boat has an omc cobra and my manifolds are rear risers and aim down approx 45 degrees, I'm going to the local exhaust shop and have them redirect the exhaust where I need it with stainless pipe and I'll use the existing rubbers to connect it all. I'm searching ebay for tips now.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are your risers at least 13 inches above the water line? If not, through hull might not be such a good idea..

You could also install this:

http://www.mooreperformance.info/Page-9.html

Lets you keep your through prop exhaust and also gives you the sound of through hull.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just kidding.. that link is for Mercruiser. Didn't read that you had an OMC..