1963 75hp Starflite Head Gasket Direction

yorab

Ensign
I know from automotive applications that some head gaskets are designed so that one face is against the block and the other against the head. I don't see any markings on my Starflite head gaskets nor do I see any mention of direction in the service manual. I'm guessing that direction doesn't matter, but I want to be sure. Anybody know for sure?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 75hp Starflite Head Gasket Direction

Out of old habits I used to look at the head gasket and see which side had the larger metal ring in the center. I would always put the large ring towards the block. I would also put OMC gasket sealing compound on them if the gasket wasn't marked " use no sealer".

yorab

Ensign

Thanks boobie, but I don't see any mention of sealing compound in the service manual. Does anybody else use sealing compound? If so, does anybody know what the newest name is for this compound?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's just a little added protection for any water leaks . " Gasket sealing compond " is available at any Evinrude dlr. If you can't find that, Peratex #3 used to be the same thing. As long as the gasket didn't say " use no sealer" I,ve always used it.There's a story behind all this but it is to long a story to explain here.