carburetor trouble

treroberts

Recruit
I have a 2004 50hp yamaha outboard 2 stroke. It has been sitting for about 3 years. I am trying to get it running. I drained and replaced the oil-put in fresh yamalube, sprayed seafoam in each carb, put seafoam in the gas with fresh gas. It has 3 carbs- the one in the middle is spitting out gas. The engine will run but when I lower the idle or put it in gear it stops. I have been told that I need to replace or repair the carb. Is this something that I could do myself or should I take it to a mechanic- which I can not afford? Please help me out if you can.

THanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: carburetor trouble

Simple to pull ,take apart, and clean. But I would recommend to pick up a repair/service manual to help you along and be able to adjust everything after putting back on. Make sure the carbs go back where they came from and pay attention to which carb parts came from, some jets are different in them

treroberts

Recruit
Re: carburetor trouble

Thanks for your help. I did clean all three carbs. Engine is running a little better. I cleaned the fuel filter, oil filter, and all spark plugs as well.