Volvo Penta SX housing removal; MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, I know there are manuals in the sticky, but I am unable to access them from "where I am at". So I have what I think is an easily answered question.
And since the only stupid question is the one not asked...well:rolleyes:

2001 Volvo Penta SX

1.) I have to remove the housing the drive sits in. (After I find a 12pt. allen socket, that not a single store in town carries)
Are those bolts right or left hand thread?

2.) How difficult and or what is the proceedure for resetting the trim gauge after it is all put back together?

3.) Am I missing/forgetting anything?

My hydraulic line got cut Sunday, so we are going to replace it. After removing the drive last night we found the exhaust bellow has three holes in it.:mad: I just had the drive off last fall to check everything and grease it before it was put away. There were no holes or cuts or anything so I figure I must have got into something sharp that did not react well with "soft" parts.:confused:

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Volvo Penta SX housing removal

The bolts are called Torx head. Most any auto parts stores sell them.
I just bought a set at Autozone...lifetime warranty.
Standard threads...righty tighty,lefty loosey...lol!

Just mark the location of the trim sender and put it back in the same spot...no problem.

Some exhaust bellows have the cuts in them when new.
Just inspect the drive shaft bellows real good.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why would they purposely have cuts in them? Although that would make sense as to the location of these cuts.

Lookin inside the bellow, they are on the top of the rib in a straight line.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease with the removal. I had it in my head that it was going to be some bass akwards take it to the dealer you can't do it type of thing.:rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1.) I have to remove the housing the drive sits in. (After I find a 12pt. allen socket, that not a single store in town carries)
Are those bolts right or left hand thread?
A regular 6 point Allen Wrench works fine. It is normal right hand threads.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The holes in exhaust bellows allow water to drain from the bellows , totally normal.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am becoming alittle aprehensive about going any further. I was able to remove the bolts that hold the housing on. My thought was that I would be able to lower it out of the way enough to get to the hydaulic lines to remove and replace them. I no longer think this to be a feasable idea. It appears that I have to remove the housing completely. I am a little worried about removing the boots and water line.

If I am looking at it correctly, it should take no more than snap ring plyers to remove the rings from inside the bellows, correct? And a wrench to remove the nut on the water intake hose? I cannot see the shift cable boot, so I do not know what would be required to get that off after I am able to get to it. I assume it is maybe just a hose clamp?

How easy/difficult is this to do? Am I wasting my time? Will I get through all of this only to find I still am unable to get the lines off? Am I making to big of a deal out of it?

I think I am just a bit anxious about digging this deep into my boat. When I had my older boats, I never gave a second thought to tearing into something and learning along the way. This one is a little (lot) different. So, I suppose I am looking more for encouragement than anything else. I really don't want to mess this up.

Thanks guys:redface:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There is no shift bellows to worry about. You can remove the u-jont bellows and exhaust bellows from the transom assembly by loosening the hose clamps. The only other thing to remove is the water hose. I would replace the o-ring on that one when you reassemble. Might want to replace the u-joint bellows if its over 5 years old.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, thank you.

She turned 7 years old last month. I will replace the bellow. After all, I will never be any closer to it than I am right now;).

I will be sure and let you all know how it went. Maybe then I can let someone down the line know it can be done.:cool:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta SX housing removal; MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Thank you guys for your help. I finished her up last night about 10:00. Parts arrived at 6:00, my buddy got here at 7 and she is good to go.

With out this site, and the people who give encouragement, I would be dry for another week and a half, and out about $800.00.

A BIG THANKS again.:)