Replacement prop install questions

Coastal Rick

Seaman Apprentice
Had my 20hp 1973 Merc with a spun prop, and ordered a Michigan replacement 032136. Pulled the old prop and destroyed it in the process, which left the rubber hub and inner metal sleeve corroded onto the prop shaft. Got that all cut off and am ready to install the new Michigan. I've got two questions basically:

There is a shaped metal washer (thrust washer?) that came off between the lower unit and the prop, and it seemed to fit almost completely into the old prop by looking at the wear marks on both pieces. The washer doesn't sit half way into the new prop. Is this a normal situation? The first four pics show what I'm talking about.

Next is the washer and nut that secure the prop to the shaft. It only seems like an ordinary washer, and an aluminum (lightweight, definitely not steel) nut with a funky plastic cap over the top which may be an old school nylock. Seems weird to not have any kind of locking mechanism, but the parts diagrams I've looked at seem to indicate this is the correct hardware. Can anyone tell if this the right parts? Can I simply get a stainless washer and nylock nut to replace the old parts?

Thanks for helping me out!

Attachments

• Prop 1.jpg
    Prop 1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Prop 2.jpg
    Prop 2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Prop 3.jpg
    Prop 3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Prop 4.jpg
    Prop 4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Prop 5.jpg
    Prop 5.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacement prop install questions

That thrust washer may be specific to the prop. In any case go get a prop
nut kit 11-64075A1 about $10. And yes the locking nut is correct with the nylon insert.

Coastal Rick

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replacement prop install questions

Great idea on getting the prop kit, as the design has changed since 1973. So I went a head and got it. Seems to engage the prop shaft much more completely. That funky nut still has that bubble over the top, so I guess it works fine. The marine shop recommended the quicksilver lube over some marine wheelbearing grease I had, and it does seem to hold up pretty good.

I still have doubts about that thrust washer being correct. I think since the prop kit changed, that TW did too, so asked the shop to order it so we can compare. Since I couldn't wait, I just put it on as-is and battled some terrific wind and waves today for a few crabs. Will report on the new TW when it arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg