Needle Seat removal and replacement

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I buggered a needle seat while taking it out of one of my WH carbs. Is there a trick to safely pull them and replace? I thought about tape on a large bladed screwdriver to fill the thickness gap.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Needle Seat removal and replacement

I buggered a needle seat while taking it out of one of my WH carbs. Is there a trick to safely pull them and replace? I thought about tape on a large bladed screwdriver to fill the thickness gap.

A screwdriver the right size in good shape should do just fine. You may have to break down and go buy a decent screwdriver.

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to hardware store today with the needle seat. Getting the proper width is no problem. It's the thickness. The gap on the seat is at least 1/16" bigger. Maybe tape?

Moody Blue

Captain

If you can't find the PROPER screwdriver, take the largest you can find and file/grind of the end until you get the required thickness to fit the slot (the blades are tapered, so as you shorten the blade, the thickness increases).

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just use a easyout and replace it with a new one...

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might try a set of gunsmithing screw drivers. A good set comes with a wide assortment of different blade widths and thickness' and are hollow ground to fit the slots better. I bought a set years ago for my firearms and found they work great for a lot of applications.

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your input guys. For the replacement of the new needle seats I modified a barely used Craftsman two fister slotted screwdriver that had the proper width of the needle seat. I used electrical tape until I achieved the desired thickness. I then eased the new needle seats into the carb.
The idea of grinding down a driver is indeed a great idea, but I am more McGyver like and not machine shop like. It worked for installing the new seats on carb #1. I'll let you know if it works on removing the old seats undamaged on carb #2 and #3. I will also post pics of the old and the new needle seats to see who can I.D. the old ones. I can tell you right now... it's tough unless the old ones have a broken spring!