1971 6 hp johnson vacuum problem

snakpak13

Recruit
summary : bought this motor last weekend - new to boating so i thru it on my boat & iwas off . not relizing it was a long shaft i put it on my boat - 15 minutes later it would coninue to run ... i would have to pump fuel and it even began kicking the fuel line off ... i think i had the outlet for the water pump in the water ;( now i cant get motor to run for long periods of time as it seems to lose vacuum and run itself out of gas.. i cleaned carb & replaced fuel pump ..side note water leaks now from shifting handle .. it will not run with choke on ..when it does start it runs short burst once stalls i notice no fuel in system at all .. i must repump gas tank & i here it filling an empty carb all hoses empty of fuel as well ..
help me . is this an issue of a gasket near the water pump causing pressure to be lost ,....

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1971 6 hp johnson vacuum problem

Sounds as though your fuel connector is in need of some attention. It sounds as though it is so lose that it is letting air in. It should not shake off either. Replacement with genuine OMC/BRP part probably best bet. If the half on the motor looks worn replace that too.

Sounds as though the bushing and the O ring on the shift lever shaft are in bad way if water is coming out there ( later models have a grease nipple .. dont see one on that model but if there is grease it) may be worse because you have it mounted too deep and causing excessive pressure in the exhaust housing.

snakpak13

Recruit
Re: 1971 6 hp johnson vacuum problem

we have ran it with another gas tank that has been on previous trips as soon as last week and the same problem .. just bogs out - dies with no gas left in fuel hoses - carb ?? when it runs it sounds great just cant get it to stay running --