popping out of gear

nofuel58

Recruit
i have a 1965 6hp evinrude fisherman that klinks and klanks and pops out of gear! any help? thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: popping out of gear

Jumping out of gear is very probably due to a worn dog clutch

caused by people engaging gear gently!

Dont know if you can with that one but it may be possible to turn the dog around provided the faces it engages with on the gears are not also badly worn.

My 84 model klinks always has done. Dont know what would make it klank though.

nofuel58

Recruit

thanks for replying!! dont know much about boat motors but for $100.00 an hour labor at the shop i'l try it myself. how far do i have to go? just the lower unit?

1961glastron

Cadet

yep just tear the lower off but it may not come off untill u pull the powerhead off,,,i know my old 5.5 fisherman is like that,,,

1961glastron

Cadet

i to have an evinrude 30hp big twin that is pooping out,,,it sounds like a misfire but i checked it with 2 spark testers beside each other cause i thought it was a condenser problem but neither side stopped flashing and i noticed it was coming outta gear,kinda like skipping a tooth though not much,,so i figure it may be the clutch dog or forward gear,,,,so i go to drain the lu grease and it is all water again,which i just had all new seals put in it by a boat man,,,,would the water make it jump out cause if i hold it in gear then it stays in but if i give it alittle more gas then i cant hold it in and it jumps just like when idle,,,so no matter if i'm wide open or at idle then it will keep jumpin out at every 3-5 seconds what can i do bout it,,boat mans on vacation,,if the gears were bad then he would have noticed and same for the lower unit