Plugs Plugs Plugs

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All I want to do is change the intermediate housing oil and I cannot figure out where the plug is to do that. there is one on the back inside the boat by the transom that I can barely get at that appears to be removed by a large allen wrench. Then on the outside if I tilt the outdrive all the way up I can see two more plugs in-between the tilt drive and the exhaust outlet. Plugs Plugs Plugs which is which and why so many what appear to be drain and fill plugs?
P1010534-1.jpg

The plug that I think might be the fill is behind those wires right near the transom cutout. I have no idea how I am suppose to get that off with the limited space to work.

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Plugs Plugs Plugs

I think someone mentioned that there is no drain...just need to suck up what ever I am able to with a hose and then fill. DO I fill to the rim?

superbenk

Commander

there is a drain...on newer ones... not sure about '66
get on your knees and look up under the intermediate - just to the right of the ball gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vGybQJQK4
55 seconds --on

Wow, those videos are pretty handy. I've poked around Youtube for Stringer stuff, but never came up with much, not sure why I never found those. Howard, did you make those?

superbenk

Commander

yes, just the other day... I have a couple more to upload

You need to clean up that outdrive :D You should definitely put together something for a sticky and get it to the moderators. That's some good basic info that'd be nice to point people to.

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is not my intermediate housing (I forgot to take a picture of the plug) but this one I found on the internet has the same plug like thing that I am curious about. The picture is a little contrasty but you can kinda make out the allen head on it. It's the one with the big question mark! Is this the fill hole for the intermediate housing?
BsoysQEGkKGrHqUOKi8EusBo9d7BL4uH278.jpg

superbenk

Commander

There's a metal clip that holds the shift cable in that gets screwed in where that hole is. You can see part of the clip on my shift cable here on the right:

(click for larger picture)

(click for larger picture)

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input...that makes sense but I will take a picture of mine tomarrow to see and compare. Your outdrive looks newer, mine is a 66.

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How come nobody knows where to fill the intermediate with lube? Is this something that never needs to be checked? Strange....