1995 mercury 175hp blackmax

DJ48

Recruit
Ok, I recently bought this used boat and motor about 4 months ago. Tested it before purchase and "seemed" to run ok. I took it out about six weeks ago and the motor ran fine for about an hour to hour in half before it died out on me. Seemed to lose power and starved for gas. I premix the oil(50-1) and could smell some gas and figured i flooded it out. After about 10-15 minutes, it started back up and ran fine except a little "hicup" along the way. I figured i got trash in the fuel so after i got in, I replaced the fuel filter, water seperator and plugs.

This past Sunday, hoping that would solve the problem; I went back out again and within 30 minutes it did the samething. I had the throttle at full power and was only getting about 1600rpm's. Sounded like it wasn't getting fuel and i could smell gas again. This time it would not start and a nice gentleman pulled us in.

The plugs had about a drop or two of oil on them and i also noticed the bottom carb was leaking fuel. A boat mech friend of mine asked if the seals looked worn and replacing them might help along with rebuilding the carbs. I did a compression check and one side was between 90-95 and the other was at 100.....

Is it hard to rebuild a carb because a friend who is a car mechanic says he can rebuild them and also replace the gaskets. Would it be ok for him to do that and lets see if that helps and brings the compression up some?

What do you guys think could be the problem and solutions......
MUCH THANKS.......

Oh yeah, how do i know how to adjust the carbs properly? Air/Fuel Mix

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 mercury 175hp blackmax

Yes, your friend can rebuild your carbs, but I would strongly recommend that you get the Merc service manual first if you don't already have it. It has all the link and sync/ timing info you will need. You can get it here: https://mercnet.mercurymarine.com/litreq/navigate.do

Could be something simple like a fuel bulb or fuel pump. Sounds like your bottom carb might have a float stuck. Was it smoking alot on start up?