Wiring for Dummies

pthomann

Cadet
I have a Maxum 1800SR Bowrider and need to install a new Humminbird HR610 depth finder. I would like to wire it to the accessory switch on the main dashboard. The switch has (2) terminals, one already has a red wire going to it. The other is empty.The HR610 unit has a black and red wire. I know that the red is power, but when I put the black lead onto a nearby black lead termination point, the unit is on all the time. What am I doing wrong and can anyone explain a simple way to accomplish this task?:confused:

Baytown.boy

Seaman
Re: Wiring for Dummies

So your saying even when the depth finders off /on switch is in the off position, your dept finder is still on?

The power will always be there when you turn the knob to the on position and off in that position if the red and black wires are hooked up. Thats what the dept finders off/on knob is for.

pthomann

Cadet

The unit does not have a power on/off switch according to Humminbird, and needs to be connected to a switched 12v device. I talked with customer service and she told me to connect it to the acc switch on the dash. This switch does not appear to have a positive and negative terminal, but only has (2) positives. When I hook the red to one of these and the black to a known ground, the unit stays on regardless of the position of the on/off switch on the panel. Could I have a faulty switch? Does the ground have to go to a specific connection somewhere else?

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd guess that one of 2 things is happening.

1. The red wire coming from the switch used to be something and is now cut

Or more likely

2. Red wire is power going into your toggle and the other terminal is for running power to your accessory from the toggle. Ground would need to go from your accessory to your negative buss.

NYBo

Admiral

If you have verified that the red wire on one side of the switch goes to 12V+ and you have attached the red wire from the Humminbird to the other terminal, the switch must be shorted internally.

pthomann

Cadet

To All,
Thanks for the responses, ChampionShip was correct with his second assumption, I had already figured it out - the switch has (2) terminals, one for incomming power and one for any accessory. After I connected the red wire to the 2nd terminal and the black to a common ground, the switch worked just fine and I am in business. Next order of business is to mount the transducer, I hate the idea of cutting a 5/8" hole in the back for the cable entry, but see no other choice(s)? When I place the transducer on the bottom of the hull (inside the engine cover), I get mixed reactions at best. I would prefer this option, but so far have not found a suitable place to mount it and from what I have gathered, it better be the right place because once it is epoxied in, it is there for good! Any ideas would be appreciated!:)